Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Becoming wealthy, but would I be any happier.

Occasionally while making deliveries to wealthy clients I consider what it takes to enjoy a lifestyle of that nature. But would I be happier than I am now? If I were wealthy I wouldn't fit in a deed restricted community because I can be a little sloppy sometimes. Open acreage would definitely be in my best interest.
For some, winning the lottery is their possible big-break whereas my aspiration has been toward a unique product or service that makes it attainable. As I creep toward 34 I can't help but clearly see reality for what it is. On one hand I'm afraid of burning away time with friends and family to achieve the unachievable which may not bring satisfaction of life anyway yet if I'm having to work why not get all I can get while doing something enjoyable. I'm pretty happy with my little variety pack of services(Aeration, Topdressing, Compost & Pinestraw delivery). Even if I were wealthy I think I would still have an interest in the challenge of a small business but maybe not.
Viewing a documentary on the wealthy may assist with my priority check or some good feedback from all you rich folks here.
Best regards.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think happiness is a state of mind. It's what you make "happiness" look like. For some people, I'm sure money does equal happiness. I know I am less stressed when I have money in the bank to solve problems that I can't solve myself. I don't think winning $100 million dollars in the lottery would necessarily make me a lot happier, but I bet it helps! And if I end up earning that $100 million in one way or another, I bet it would change the perspective again. Money brings on it's own stresses though. More money means more to manage. More to protect.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Contentment is the greatest form of wealth. People whose goal is to be rich never have quite enough. When I was your age I wanted to be rich in the worst way. For those of us who are middle aged and older ones health is worth more than all of the money there is.

My desire is in all things and at all times to be content.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As a peasant, do something nice & the gratitude is overwhelming.
As a wealthy person, do something nice & more is to be expected.
Look at him with his millions & only gave me $1,000. I know he's got a whole lot more than that!
This attitude probably surfaces often.
I really enjoyed lending $25 on KIVA yesterday to a guy in India to help with his small business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2012, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

40-50 mill power ball win would make me happier! Id still own and run a landscaping company but debt free my property would be expanded from 4 acres to about 20 as I buy up my neighbors. Id knock my house down and make a one that fits my tastes and personality. Oh and there's a 314 acre island for sale in Maine that would be mine that day. http://www.pioneerloghomesofbc.com/index.htm would be getting a call and Id have me a killer vacation home.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Im not sure if this post is heading the direction your wanting or not? But I will throw my 2 cents in...

For my very wealthy clients that I service I have noticed that it seems they are working long hours every day to get where they are. The stress levels match their pay scale.
Not to many have stress free lives & make the kind of money that put them in the position they are in. I do have a few clients that make 200-300K a year working 10-15 hours a week but they to me to not meet what I consider wealthy. I service one of Wells Fargo's senior vice presidents homes...I consider him one of my wealthiest.

If I won a huge jackpot I would more then likely support my addiction for anything with a diesel engine. I would buy multiples of each thing and stocking the same amount of parts a normal parts warehouse would have along with a full time mechanic and fabrication on staff to fix everything I break. A major pet peve for me is having the money for something but still no matter how much money you have you can't get whatever it is fast enough. I can't stand when im buying something and it has to be shipped from 2K miles away or even built yet. When I buy it I want to take it home with me NOW lol.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I work and enjoy what i do, the satisfaction and accomplishmnet. Being wealthy would allow the CHOICE of what to do each day and allow for more time spent with family and friends.
Not having the stress of bills or necessity to produce .

Being able to provide a better education or allow for more opportunities for my kids and a secure retirement. Being able to help my friends and family financially, giving more time to charity .....certainly woukd all make me happier.

Wealth affords choice....opportunities...freedom from the treadmill
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 12-30-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I recently read a study about wealth vs happiness, it concluded that the 100K mark brings the most satisfaction. I would tend to agree, mainly because I've been there, at 100K'year you can pretty much do what you want, it's enough that you can live reasonably and afford most things the avg person wants without the stress that comes once you start trying to make millions. My goal is to get back to that mark.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

many of these "wealthy" people are in debt over their eyeballs. the upper middle class types are typically the worst culprits of this. they live to impress neighbors, friends, etc. and often end up working way too much to support a meaningless life of materialism.

not sure which neighborhoods you are referring to but i would not strive to be like the people i just mentioned. if you are driving around huge estates, the likelihood is that many of these people created successful businesses, worked their butts off and are now enjoying the fruits of their labor, or inherited money.

i doubt many people are ever really completely happy from a monetary perspective. strive to earn enough money to easy support whatever lifestyle you have grown accustomed to. i agree with cpllawncare that life gets much easier around the 100k mark if your expenses are in check. (i read that number was closer to 75k but perhaps it has risen..)

life and happiness are relative to your expectations. if you like rancher homes, ford mustangs, diesel motors, etc. you will probably be a pretty content person earning 100k a year.

if you like exotic sports cars, summers in Italy, supermodel girlfriends, etc. you likely need much much more.

money in itself never buys happiness; its the things you do with the money, the stress level that comes with it (or without it), the challenge of earning it.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

BMX, the thing about the 100K mark (expenses in check of course) is you can most likely save for things like a ferrari if that's what you want, If I was still at the 100K mark I would be driving a paid for 2013 Shelby GT 500 (currently the fastest production car in the world) just knowing it was paid for would make me happy. Just having the freedom to do and go as I please is enough happiness for me for now though.