Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Uniquely enough I just enjoyed this conversation with my father. He owns nothing more than a bag of clothes, a tent with sleeping bag, handgun, skinning knife all packed on his 250cc Honda Reflex Scooter. Three years ago he said to hell with work, homeownership which requires taxes & maintenance. He sold everything and mailed all his photo-albums & keepsakes to me for safe-keeping. He then headed out on the open road to see the country for the very first time in his life & by the way it sounds he's never been happier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

^^^ Not sure I wanna go that far, but I'm sure he figures he can always go back to the other life if he chooses to, we always talk about choices on here and I think as long as you have the choice to do what you want, that's really what makes most people happy.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No doubt, I want a place to call home. He's been thinking back about his earlier working years from age 25-50 where he was going 6 days a week with 10-12 hour days. But really, what was it good for? Was his question to another camper. The worst thing about it all is how it takes nearly a lifetime to figure out what's truly satisfying.
His final analysis is that if you can get by with less which may mean not having to work so much then you're better off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

if you can get by with less which may mean not having to work so much then you're better off.

Pretty much what I came up with, but I seem to be creeping back to my old ways of working more and more ARGH!!!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do agree that happiness is a state of mind but money does not hurt either. There are just somethings I will not do to get it. Hard work is one thing I will do but it better be a good sum of money
Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Laying in bed the other night I thought about the Springtime calls that will come in for topdressing & I actually pictured myself telling the customer "Oh, I'm sorry but we don't offer that service any longer". Is that really possible I wondered. After working so hard at building & perfecting a service in a market I have cornered would I for the sake of peace be willing to let it all go? After rehearsing the notion with dad tonight I'm slowly becoming more convinced that it's a burden I might be happy to live without.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

$18,300 in the bank & $1120/month from social security & that's it after lots of hard work & supporting 3 boys. But he's living in the moment. Goes to a local diner for breakfast a couple times a week then enjoys reading at the library thereafter. He's free as a bird...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
Laying in bed the other night I thought about the Springtime calls that will come in for topdressing & I actually pictured myself telling the customer "Oh, I'm sorry but we don't offer that service any longer". Is that really possible I wondered. After working so hard at building & perfecting a service in a market I have cornered would I for the sake of peace be willing to let it all go? After rehearsing the notion with dad tonight I'm slowly becoming more convinced that it's a burden I might be happy to live without.
Posted via Mobile Device
Why is this? Do you have employees? Are you not charging enough.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

100° heat with 90% humidity after working 6 days straight at my full-time job (indoors nonetheless) then managing it all into my 3 days off before going back for another solid 6. Here's my scoop on topdressing: I pay $19/yard for compost. I charge $55/yard spread. An average job requires 6 cubic yards which takes 70 minutes to get loaded & drive to the first house. Then about 90 minutes to complete. (Salute customer, unhook trailer from dumptruck, unload Spreader, set-up truck with tarp & start filling machine, spread/fill/spread/fill repeat, blow out all sprinkler heads, edging, driveway, roadway, rake out any thick spots, receive payment, reverse all original steps). Unless i'm using a second dumptruck I may need to go reload since the Isuzu only holds 10 yards safely. Then 1 & 3/4 hours to reload & come back. Labor can be killer cause I need all hands on deck since I still have to squeeze in the scheduled compost deliveries & aeration over the next 48 hours besides addressing any new calls that may come in. Can I squeeze them in or schedule them out nearly 10 days?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by adam.neusbaum; 12-31-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
100° heat with 90% humidity after working 6 days straight at my full-time job (indoors nonetheless) then managing it all into my 3 days off before going back for another solid 6. Here's my scoop on topdressing: I pay $19/yard for compost. I charge $55/yard spread. An average job requires 6 cubic yards which takes 70 minutes to get loaded & drive to the first house. Then about 90 minutes to complete. (Salute customer, unhook trailer from dumptruck, unload Spreader, set-up truck with tarp & start filling machine, spread/fill/spread/fill repeat, blow out all sprinkler heads, edging, driveway, roadway, rake out any thick spots, receive payment, reverse all original steps). Unless i'm using a second dumptruck I may need to go reload since the Isuzu only holds 10 yards safely. Then 1 & 3/4 hours to reload & come back. Labor can be killer cause I need all hands on deck since I still have to squeeze in the scheduled compost deliveries & aeration over the next 48 hours besides addressing any topdressing estimates that may come up.
Posted via Mobile Device
You charge $55 a yard to spread plus mulch or including mulch?

So you are not full time landscape? Do you do other services part time also?