Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Open discussion - what looks good in a nightscape?

What's your experience? Suggest some stuff for my new client - regular -sized residential lot, raised bed in the front yard facing the street.

What plants/trees/shrubs have you noted that get a good effect being lit up at night, and in what way?

Discussion not limited to plants, though. Thoughts/pictures of water fixtures, statuary, etc, welcome.

I'll start. Japanese maples of the correct size, uplit, with not too much light (usually a 20w halogen fixture is plenty) seems like a good specimen item.

How 'bout shrub roses, chinese junipers, and ornamental grasses - and water features? Any thoughts?

TIA
Old 12-31-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you would get a better response if you ask about a specific project, with pics posted for reference. No one is going give all the trade stuff here in an open forum. Also pm's work well. Too broad a subject.
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere
Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Lots of these

Old 01-02-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree. Three feet makes the yard.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ah yes, the old Foot Candle gag!

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKSooner View Post
What's your experience? Suggest some stuff for my new client - regular -sized residential lot, raised bed in the front yard facing the street.

What plants/trees/shrubs have you noted that get a good effect being lit up at night, and in what way?

Discussion not limited to plants, though. Thoughts/pictures of water fixtures, statuary, etc, welcome.

I'll start. Japanese maples of the correct size, uplit, with not too much light (usually a 20w halogen fixture is plenty) seems like a good specimen item.

How 'bout shrub roses, chinese junipers, and ornamental grasses - and water features? Any thoughts?

TIA
I agree, tough to respond to such a broad question. Better to be specific about each plant type, landscape feature etc.

One useful resource is the CAST Lighting photo gallery. It contains over 400 photos of projects from about 50 of the best designers. It is all indexed by plant type, landscape feature, architectural style, lighting technique, etc. It also has notes from the designers and the fixtures they used.

You can access the gallery from any page in the website - click on "Gallery" on the top navigation bar.

stevep@voltlighting.com

Outdoor Lighting and LED Light Bulbs from VOLT®.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparrott View Post
I agree, tough to respond to such a broad question. Better to be specific about each plant type, landscape feature etc.

One useful resource is the CAST Lighting photo gallery. It contains over 400 photos of projects from about 50 of the best designers. It is all indexed by plant type, landscape feature, architectural style, lighting technique, etc. It also has notes from the designers and the fixtures they used.

You can access the gallery from any page in the website - click on "Gallery" on the top navigation bar.
Thanks for the constructive answer. I can see how my question can be taken in ways other than constructive.

(I'm a serious contractor trying to build more than just an occasional lighting business in the future.)

I'll go have a look at your link.

And... thanks again.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

FX Luminaire used to put out a pretty good design book called Turbospecs II, which gave specific suggestions for fixtures and lamps, like how many for a particular plant of a particular size.

It was mostly geared for the Southwest, but you could transpose them if you knew the plants they talked about. The copy I have on hand has a 1999 publication date. Had a nice lighting terms glossary too. Not sure if it's available as a PDF or anything. It could use an update though.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm with Steve, if you want some ideas check out the cast site, also try to match the landscape and the lighting to the style of the house and the surrounding neighborhood and never forget to seek input from the home owner, ask them what features are important to them and make those stand out big time.