Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

SCAG Ultimate SWZU 48?

Does anyone have first hand experience operating one of these units and if so please review pros and cons followed by would you buy another one like it?

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/grd/3477805426.html

I currently mow larger lawns 1-5 acres but I am starting to acquire smaller residential accounts which have tight areas where my Scag Turf Tiger 61" mower will not go.

My thought is to buy both a 48" and 36" either walk behinds or standers before April. I am partial to Scag because I love my turf tiger and have owned and Exmark Lazer Z which cut well but was slow and gas guzzler.

Any other brands and models that fit this 36" - 48" hydro walk behind or stander units that you guys like please mention those too.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

they are good mowers. sucks they dont make em anymore. jump on it!!!

14 Years old
Old 12-26-2012, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Great mower...bulletproof
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmarkboy13 View Post
they are good mowers. sucks they dont make em anymore. jump on it!!!
I've got a crazy question for you. How, in the world, do you run a lawn service before you're old enough to drive?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
I've got a crazy question for you. How, in the world, do you run a lawn service before you're old enough to drive?
ride the mower or pay your parents to drive you.

That is what I do.

Snapper: CP218520
21351PD new engine
LawnBoy: 10227 wi/bagger
Scag:SW36 Grass Packer/Kawaski engine
Shindaiwa: T242 LE242 RS41T231X
STIHL: MS210C BG55x2 KM90 trimmer edger blower
Kawasaki:KRB650B KHDS600A
Toro:single stage snow thrower

I Like Shindaiwa and Kawasaki more than Stihl, with the exception of handheld blowers. Think Scag and Snapper mowers are the best. Just My .02.

Click here for my work thread!
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Old 12-27-2012, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
Excellent question Johnny. I have a modified craftsman lawn tractor with two strobes that i use to pull the 5x10 around. this year, im starting another crew, and am going to purchase an atv to get stuff around quicker!

14 Years old
Old 12-29-2012, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses guys, sounds like it is one well built 48" walk behind mower.

I talked to the owner and he isn't sure about what year this unit is...any ideas of the year and what size engine? He was out plowing when I talked to him and he apparently has a quite a few mowers so he wasn't sure what year of engine was on this unit.

He estimates the hours at around 800 for this machine. How many hours will these get before you have to rebuild replace the engines assuming normal maintenance schedule was followed?

I am also looking at buying this 36" Scag walk behind mower. What are your thoughts about this one...and is the price fair?

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/grd/3457497319.html
Old 12-29-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The swzu is between 1995 and 2001 based on the deck and electric clutch. Will it last? I don't know how it was taken care of so couldn't tell you. The mower seems decent and a engine doesn't cost much if need be.

The 36" is a belt drive fixed deck between 95 and 01 also. Way less mower than the swzu.

Ill have a hustler trimstar selling in spring or now if you like for $3k. An 08 bought in 09 similar build to the swzu (hydro floating deck, bagger, sulky) with 800hrs or so. Pm if interested.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
The swzu is between 1995 and 2001 based on the deck and electric clutch. Will it last? I don't know how it was taken care of so couldn't tell you. The mower seems decent and a engine doesn't cost much if need be.

The 36" is a belt drive fixed deck between 95 and 01 also. Way less mower than the swzu.

Ill have a hustler trimstar selling in spring or now if you like for $3k. An 08 bought in 09 similar build to the swzu (hydro floating deck, bagger, sulky) with 800hrs or so. Pm if interested.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the offer but it's a bit more than I can spend this year for one mower. No snow here in Chicago for two winters in a row = NO CASH :-(

I have been doing some research and it look like you are correct anywhere between 1995 and 2001. Some apparently liked the old style deck over the advantage that came out around 2002.

Anyone else like these old style decks and if so why is it better than the newer advantage decks?

Older machines don't bother me as long as they are not tired and old...how do you tell if the motor is weak? Compression test...blue smoke on start up?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

FYI, In Des Moines, IA craigslist there is a 03 Scag 48" hydo mower (fixed deck) for $650. It looks decent shape and is a better deal than the 36 or 48 you have posted. It is a drive for you but the $200 in fuel still makes it a good deal. Heck I'm thinking of going to get it.