Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-30-2012, 06:28 PM

I agree with ELS.... only other thing I can think of is the "good boss" is more of a weasel than you realize and he likes playing both sides of the fence.

Either way, why not sit down with both of them and confront them? Explain your issues and even put the "good boss" on the spot.... Then you will quickly realize who actually and truly has the power and if it is the "bad boss" it may be time to start your own business again or find another job.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

From reading the website it seems they both started the company together and are now co-owners? Sounds like they both have issues and I don't see the good boss as a good boss if he lets this stuff fly.

I've been in 3 (partnerships) and still am in a partnership and myself nor my partner would act they way these two do. We might have our disagreements but never in front of anyone and I back my partner 100% as does he me.

I am a very straightforward guy and don't play games with people so I would want to meet with both of them and lay it all out.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the "good boss" is as much a wuss as you and won't man-up and confront this guy. If you confront him what's he going to do fire you? If he does would the "good boss" back him up or you?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We're not wusses, the good boss has backed me up before. the good boss has confronted him. It usually ends up that the bad boss bawls his eyeballs out "[good boss's name] you're my best friend, I don't want anything to come between us" and at that point you can't effectively communicate with him. That's probably his way of dodging questions.

As far as quitting, I need a new place to work then, and I don't have that lined up.

Gravely
Scag
Ferris
Echo
Stihl
Old 12-30-2012, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First I would walk up to him and beat his ass for talking behind your back, then I would quit and go elsewere! Life is far to short to deal with ass holes like this guy. Not to mention it sounds like people like him run businesses in the ground, sooner or later you will be looking for a job because of it.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitelawnteam1 View Post
We're not wusses, the good boss has backed me up before. the good boss has confronted him. It usually ends up that the bad boss bawls his eyeballs out "[good boss's name] you're my best friend, I don't want anything to come between us" and at that point you can't effectively communicate with him. That's probably his way of dodging questions.

As far as quitting, I need a new place to work then, and I don't have that lined up.
Bawls his eyes out? You work in a nut house.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
Bawls his eyes out? You work in a nut house.
Wow. Those two sound like husband and wife.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

You can only work for one person

I've had your problem, maybe even a little worse. It was a company where everybody in management thought they were my boss. And they each had their own agenda.
When someone would demand additional services I'd respond with "Are you authorizing the added charges?"
That would start a confrontation about what my duties were.
It would end when I would put into the conversation "Who do I work for?"

You can only work for one person at a time.

That's why I don't go after HOA's cemetaries etc. or anything where I'd have to report to a "board of directors". They have to have one person with the authority to hire or fire me or I'm not interested.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
It would end when I would put into the conversation "Who do I work for?"
My line is "I don't see your name on my check".
Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

why not just talk with the original owner and you become the other owner and get rid of the stupid guy?

i was in a similar situation at a job at a glass company. the job was great until the owner hired a guy like you talk about. he just made the job miserable and tense instead of being easy going like it had been. long story short i ended up walking off the job one day because i couldn't take it anymore. i just drove the work truck back to the shop and got in my truck and went home.

the "cool" owner needs to be cool and fire the stupid guy. if he doesn't then he's not "cool" anymore. i'd tell him you have one choice. me or the stupid guy. one of us is going.

Last edited by weeze; 01-01-2013 at 12:13 PM.