Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

briggs 1150 seized ?

I have a three year old craftsman snowblower ,that the engine has sezed up on after not even two tanks of fuel run through it.I can get a brand new briggs 1150 ,but a summer one for $350.00 ,just wondering what needs to come from the junk motor to convert it to winter use ? Anybody have an idea what replacing the piston in my old one would cost me parts -wise ?
Thanks for any help offered .
Old 12-31-2012, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

anybody have any info ? how about a service manual ?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure it is actually seized?Was it ran without oil?I have had a carb issue where the needle and seat didn't shut off the fuel and filled the cylinder up with fuel.At which point you could no longer spin the engine over with the pull cord(felt seized).Pulled the spark plug pulled the rope and shot out the gas from the cylinder.You cant compress a liquid.Fixed carb ,changed oil and back off to the races.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurbthims View Post
anybody have any info ? how about a service manual ?
Read this, it should help : http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040

......AMF!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You do understand that engines, when they seize, do so while running.
An engine that seizes has suffered severe physical, internal damage.
They can not do this unless they are in full operation.

Engines that seize literally come to a perfect stand still for no good reason when just a minute ago it was running dandy, sometimes a noise becomes evident, this noise can be a short knock or the sound of something breaking, or it can be some racket like scraping and clattering, and other times it makes no noise at all.

They sure don't seize while sitting idle.
At least not in that sense.

It takes very little oil to keep them happy, an engine can literally sit for years and still start right back up...
Small engines that is, granted it helps if they're out of the weather.

That having been said it might need some tweaking and tuning.

Last edited by herler; 12-31-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been a licenced mechanic since 1982 ,I do know a few things about engines as I owned a cat -cummins-detroit diesel dealership,and yes this one has seized and no it wasnt running at the time .I had the blower sitting in my backyard with a proper snowblower cover on it for the summer while I built a new garage ,and when I went to start it last January ,it had seized .The blower is virtually new as stated before,and ran perfectly when I parked it and fully serviced it the end of the season before .The electric starter wouldnt budge it ,the rewind either ,and after removing the belt cover trying the pto end also had no effect .I pulled the plug,and filledthe cylinder with new dexron ,and left it to sit untill this past week ,while every week or so trying to turn it over [it has been in my garage since it was found seized ] .A local surplus shop has a few summer briggs 1150 engines brand new in the box ,but they are just a surplus dealer and have no knowledge on the products they sell ,so my question was what has to be swapped over to run one of these engines on my blower ie carb,blower housing,carb covers electric starter ,or does it go a little further including ignition,cams,etc .Its been a long time since I have swapped winter summer features on a small engine ,and none of them were ohv offshore stuff like this one .
I asked about the piston because if I tore this engine down and can get the piston out of the cylinder ,then I might swap a new one in it if its still worth it ,as I feel the pistons the most likely part to have seized as the crank is sitting in an oil bath ,but untill its torn down who knows .
I also asked if anybody might have a link to a service manual ,as I havent found anything online for this model .I live an hour from a dealer so dropping in for every little thing is a bit of a problem ,but I will see if they have one in stock in the next few weeks when I am in town .
Thanks.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd wait on doing anything just yet. I know you put ATF in. Try some Marvel Mystery oil. Have you drained the crankcase yet? Is there any water in it? You may need to remove the head and put some persuasion to the piston. These Briggs engines are built to take a lot of abuse due to the type of people that tend to buy them. I feel that once you free it up it will be fine for years to come. You may need to do some light sanding on the bore once you free the rings up.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Richard ,I had decided last night to pull it apart and figure out whats up with it .