Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Par Lawns View Post
LOL! I never thought about that. I better park next to the maintenance building i guess! luckily it's a perfect spot for them to still be able to see it.
Posted via Mobile Device
The golf course is an ideal location to advertise. Most that play golf can afford lawn care services. Bet you pick up a lot of business overtime from it sitting there. Those few that learn you actually work at the golf course, will have confidence you know what your doing as well and call you when their needs aren't being met.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
The golf course is an ideal location to advertise. Most that play golf can afford lawn care services. Bet you pick up a lot of business overtime from it sitting there. Those few that learn you actually work at the golf course, will have confidence you know what your doing as well and call you when their needs aren't being met.
Exactly! I've already for a deal worked out with Tee Times to have an ad in their magazine. I figure with people seeing that as well as my truck being parked up there will really help me. the golf course I work at is a private country club so yes they all have money. I have worked there for 4 years now and know the names of almost everyone that golfs there. I got laid off in November and that's when I decided I was going to open up this lawn care business. originally I had the intentions to make it my only job, to not go back to the golf course next year. I'm going to give it 1 more year there and really try to push my business. I only have about 15 account locked up for mowing next spring and even if I double that number I would still be able to get off work at 1 o'clock at the golf course and go by myself to cut their yards.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2012, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks good!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good...but...I cannot read the lettering in script over the phone number. Tailgate items are good.
I think you need a list of the services you want to sell. *mow, *edge, *aeration, *fertilizer, *lime, *grass seeding* topsoil, *landscaping, *snow plow
Free estimates, licensed, insured, guaranteed satifaction, senior discount...whatever.

Take advantage of your upper windshield to put on a white decal with your name on it. Back glass too perhaps.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I get what you're saying, I just don't see it that way. It's not only the"low ballers" that are going to call you. I don't deal with those people anyways. My rates are slightly higher than others around here and i don't change it just to get an account. I target nice neighborhoods of the clients i already have. If i don't wasn't to work in a particular area I no longer will. But not having your business name/number on your vehicle is only going to hurt you in the long run. try to think about that poor old lady that can't get outside of her house, just sits at her window and notices how nice of a job you're doing across the street. how is she going to know who to call?
Posted via Mobile Device
Seriously? She's going to know who you are before you even know she's looking at you. If you're cutting a neighbor's lawn next to her then she'll already know who you are, believe me. I don't see my business hurting because I didn't advertise. If anything, it's growing at a good rate.

It's common to get calls about lawn service in the spring. I've managed to get 8 new lawns to service for 2013 in the last 2 months! I also have 4 mulch jobs already lined up for the spring. I never advertise yet 8 of 11 folks are going to have me service their property in 2013. I also managed to land all the snow plowing accounts with them as well. These are all multi-million dollar homes nestled on top of a mountain. I billed out 3k in a week doing just snow removal! Why again do I need to letter my truck?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Exactly! I've already for a deal worked out with Tee Times to have an ad in their magazine. I figure with people seeing that as well as my truck being parked up there will really help me. the golf course I work at is a private country club so yes they all have money. I have worked there for 4 years now and know the names of almost everyone that golfs there. I got laid off in November and that's when I decided I was going to open up this lawn care business. originally I had the intentions to make it my only job, to not go back to the golf course next year. I'm going to give it 1 more year there and really try to push my business. I only have about 15 account locked up for mowing next spring and even if I double that number I would still be able to get off work at 1 o'clock at the golf course and go by myself to cut their yards.
Posted via Mobile Device
This past season I was up to 12 full service accounts and 2 mow and go accounts. With just a few accounts I've managed to make a living off of them and support a family. With the addition of the others, I will be set for the year from the income off of lawn care alone. Now I have snow removal and bill out close to a grand per push total. I can clear all of them in less then 10hrs.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like your logo! When it comes to lettering on the truck - less is more IMO.

A nice clean logo on both sides is just about right. If you letter the front, back, windows bumpers, ect -

it can look a bit tacky. An enclosed trailer can be a better option for listing services available to the customer.
05' JD F1445 Diesel 72"
13' Bobcat T650 CTL
08' Haulmax 24' Enclosed Trailer
11' JD JS 26 W.B.
12' BOSS 9.2 V-XT plow+Wings
Stihl hand held eq.
10' L.W. 13hp blower
13' Permagreen Triumph
WI certified pesticide applicator
Old 01-02-2013, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I also don't need a billboard saying, hit me I have insurance. Company trucks that are all lettered up are open invitation for low lifes to try and sue you.
That's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen anyone write on Lawnsite. I've been doing this 17 years now. Any given day I have about 15 trucks on the road all over town - lettered up to the hilt. And to date I've never once had someone intentionally hit us thinking they could score big because we have insurance.

So that means either I'm the luckiest landscaper in the country or your point is simply ludicrous. I guess the readers can decide which.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 01-02-2013, 03:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Above Par,

I think the lettering is nice. Basic. Professional. Not bad for your first year. Better than most I see around town.

That being said, If your aim is to grow your company a lot (and I understand that's not everyone's goal) then you eventually need to have a vehicle lettering concept that is duplicatable and memorable. The goal is to create brand name recognition. So that everyone remembers your trucks and your name over the others in town. They may not remember your name per say, but when you roll up to their house they should be saying or thinking, "Oh yah! I know this company. I've seen them around town for years." That's instant credibility and it's worth gold!

I like your idea of getting a full truck wrap. I don't care what anyone says about it being too much, over-the-top, or tacky. The point is to create a memorable impression. And if you do it right, it won't be tacky at all.

I'll attach a few photos of some of our rigs to give you an idea of what we've done. I'm not trying to steal your thunder by posting these pics. And it's I'm not saying copy what I've done either. I'm just trying to give you an idea of what I mean by creating a memorable impression on people around town. In the area we work in, just about everyone know or at least recognizes our company. And our logo / lettering is pretty simple. But it stands out and it's memorable. And I kid you not, that's golden.

Attached Images

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 01-02-2013, 03:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I hate free advertising...I don't need no stinking money... That's just plain silly, I'd keep the golf corse job for the free advertising....and free play. A nice collard polo with your logo should be your uniform 24/7 and a pack of business cards in your back pocket at all times...your building a friggin legacy ... If you don't want to be king of the mountain...quit!
Posted via Mobile Device