Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-09-2016, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Marketing with Plants

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this site and would like to get some advice for a marketing idea I have.

I do only design and build landscaping, no maintenance. To generate business, one of my new strategies this year is to talk to realtors about my services and get referrals from them. I plan on handing out some kind of plant or flower in 4 or 5 inch flower pots branded with my contact information as a gift that will remind them of me throughout the season.

Has anyone tried this? If so, what kind of plant did you use and what kind of results did you get?

Any advice or opinions would be helpful.

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2016, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A scented Geranium would be kinda cool, they have lots of different scents you can use. But, no matter what something easy to maintain.
(2) Husky Backpack Blower BT150
Husky Backpack Blower BT570
Stihl Handhelds
and American Muscle

www.Platinumlandscapemanagement.com
Old 02-09-2016, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like the idea.

How about an Air Fern? lmao Just joking but I do like the idea. Make it something that will last a loooooong time. Make your contact be an easy read, not all fancy so you can't tell what it says from far away.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like a house plant? Philodendron is toughest I've found.

I seen a similar idea that was a package of seeds about the size of a post card with company info on there
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2016, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this is a good idea. we are all maintenance. residential and commercial landscape maintenance. so every year at Christmas I order from a grower 8 inch poinsettias and give them to all my clients and property managers. They love them. This year one of my clients makes and sells gourmet cookies. so i am ordering 100 bags of cookies to go along with a house plant to give to my clients in the spring. i wont have 500$ in this but will build loyalty from your clients. here is the important part skip the realtors. they are busy trying to put together a new deal. get with a realtor who is new and trade work. ask for a weekly or monthly list of all the homes that have sold. then target them hard. This is what i do when i am looking for yards. I mail a letter to them and boom my close rate is huge. They just moved to area and do not know who to call or have been to busy moving. IT WORKS.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys!

There's some really good advice here. I'm going to implement all your suggestions in one way or another. Let's hope they produce the results I'm looking for!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

From my experience real estate agents are full of enthusiasm but won't result in the kind of business you'll thrive on. By far the largest theme of folks selling their home is getting it looking acceptable on the cheapest budget possible.

Most people who buy homes tend to get more house than they should and give priorities to the interior things like the kitchen initially.

A better use of your marketing time IHMO would be other contractors. What kind of contractors? Start with deck builders and fence companies. Don't forget irrigation companies. Fence companies sometimes need labor outside of their own to clear brush and grade for fence installation. When we get a referral from a fence company it is usually to remove honeysuckle - stumps/roots and all.

People who can afford deck work most likely can also afford landscape work too. Decks, irrigation & fences are expensive, like landscape designs and installations. They are already thinking about the outside instead of the inside of the home.

A 5% referral is fair in my eyes as a thank you to the contractor who send folks your way.

Following this through a few years down the calendar... The contractor who eventually is no longer interested in the 5% referral bonus but refers you because of consistency, quality, and communication is the kind of guy you want to be associated with and be available for. Because he is prolly the contractor who really does care about his clients and is particular. I think people/clients can pickup on these inner-mind priorities of their contractor...And you'll want to be within the circle of amazing.