Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

use real advertising instead of a childs toy?

i mean this light heartedly. im really not into facebook. my wife is addicted and wont clean the house because of it.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
i mean this light heartedly. im really not into facebook. my wife is addicted and wont clean the house because of it.

She probably says your addicted to Lawnsite? I'd like to have back all the hours that I have spent on lawnsite.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

that she would. but i learn alot from you guys
Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCS View Post
Well that just plain sucks, I often wondered about this, because some "likers" don't see all my posts. Is there a way around that?
Yes, albeit via Facebook Ads. If a business' status went to all of the people who Like them, Facebook wouldn't be able to sell advertising.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
what else is it for? when was the last time you looked up someone to hire on Facebook? for that matter when is the last time you even used a phone book!
I would wager no one uses Facebook to look for a service provider as if it were Google. If that's how you think it works then yes, you'll be disappointed by the results and shouldn't waste your time.

The way it actually works is people who have either used your service or are interested in your service like your page. You post content that is of value to them and they then share that with their friends. That then exposes you to more people who may potentially seek out your services. If these folks then also like your page, you have grown your network and your possible pool of clients and referral partners.

Example: this week I did a blog post on impatiens downy mildew and why you shouldn't plant bedding impatiens this year. I posted the link to Facebook and throughout the day, people kept sharing it because THEY found it relevant, useful, and interesting and they felt their friends would also value it. My site received nearly 3x the number of pageviews I normally do and most of those came from Facebook. There hasn't been an immediate conversion, but social media is planting seeds.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont doubt that it can work. but i probably wont bother with it untill i actualy have more than 2 customers. sota speak.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soduniforms View Post
Yes we have benefited. We have received a couple likes from this thread. We try to make it beneficial for you as well, by giving great exclusive deals via Facebook.
I will be adding another promo code to facebook later today!
So only facebook gets the promo code? I will never be on facebook, and I know of several other well established LCO that say they never showed any proof of it gaining more calls or jobs. We try not to work for friends and family, so who visits your facebook page the most, Friend or strangers?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealcutter View Post
I will never be on facebook, and I know of several other well established LCO that say they never showed any proof of it gaining more calls or jobs. We try not to work for friends and family, so who visits your facebook page the most, Friend or strangers?
Facebook is a part of an overall marketing mix that helps build brand awareness. Whether you use it or not, it's up to you, but if you choose not to use it, well, you're loosing out on the brand extension it can provide. For 99% of LCO's (and service businesses in general), it's probably not going to drive much, or any, real business. The other 1%, the ones who actually know how to utilize it with useful, shareable, content, will be the ones who see the most benefit. Probably more so than any other medium, execution is the key. If you execute poorly, you'll just find yourself talking to your Mom, Brother, and 200 LCO's who Liked your Page.

As for why service businesses have a tougher time, what is inherently shareable about having your lawn mowed, leaves picked up, toilet unclogged, or driveway sealed? Beyond a positive experience or great special offer, not much, so you have to put the time and effort in to creating a shareable experience for the people who follow your Page. If you're a landscaper doing great design/install work, your pictures and advice are infinitely more shareable than someone who does lawn apps or only mows. (Which is why, once they nail down localization, I think Pinterest will ultimately prove better for Landscape marketing.)

Last edited by tonygreek; 04-05-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought some parts from my hvac guy. i did not like his facebook page
Old 04-05-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

It's even funnier that people put like us in their signature on this forum.