Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
I hate to critic, but didnt anyine notice the huge scalps and high spots on Groomer's picture (the one with the 3 tiered lawn), ouch. Its tough when the lawn slopes up so quickly, sometimes I'll go sideways on those slopes and then go over it again kind of hovering to make the lines but not really cutting, because its already cut and try not to scalp, other than that looks good.
I think you're seeing something that isn't there. I see no scalps anywhere, just some grass clippings laying on the surface at the moment.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
I hate to critic, but didnt anyine notice the huge scalps and high spots on Groomer's picture (the one with the 3 tiered lawn), ouch. Its tough when the lawn slopes up so quickly, sometimes I'll go sideways on those slopes and then go over it again kind of hovering to make the lines but not really cutting, because its already cut and try not to scalp, other than that looks good.
there are indeed some high spots, the way that front is tiered is a real bear of a cut. I often take the trimmer and "feather" the area where each tier dies into the next. Can't throw a horizontal on it because what you don't see is the steep slope on the alley side-shoots straight downhill to the left, believe me, I've tried it.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
there are indeed some high spots, the way that front is tiered is a real bear of a cut. I often take the trimmer and "feather" the area where each tier dies into the next. Can't throw a horizontal on it because what you don't see is the steep slope on the alley side-shoots straight downhill to the left, believe me, I've tried it.
Looks good man....
Old 01-08-2013, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah I don't see any scalp marks either.

maybe clean your monitor???
Old 01-08-2013, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
yeah I don't see any scalp marks either.

maybe clean your monitor???
Now that's funny.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you look real close on one of the pics the one closest to the walkway it does look like when he went up the hill like it scalped some.. it still looks good weather he did or not i think. I got a property like that also going from flat ground to a small steep incline and you gotta use the foot lift or it will scalp like crazy ..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
If you look real close on one of the pics the one closest to the walkway it does look like when he went up the hill like it scalped some.. it still looks good weather he did or not i think. I got a property like that also going from flat ground to a small steep incline and you gotta use the foot lift or it will scalp like crazy ..Posted via Mobile Device
Definitely.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, i wasnt bashing at all just pointing it out, thats another thing I like about striping, it can hide imperfections better. Looks good either way.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think what some of you see as a scalp along the walk is really just a tire line-more or less permanent-from making the same downhill pass everytime I start that section. Another good reason to change up the pattern wherever possible.Like I said, that's a bit of a bear to cut,would be a helluva alot easier without the walk and steps right down the middle.

Last edited by Groomer; 01-08-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

On a side note, I sure wish the weather was like this today!
Attached Images