Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-10-2013, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4me View Post
I love when guys say something like this. I always reply... let's do the math on that.

Lets say you are using a blower maybe 1 hour a day x 5 days week x 32 weeks (Illinois season) = 160 hours each year.

If you go by CFM or volume of air moved a Stihl BR600 712CFM divided by Husky 580BFS 908CFM = .784 x 160hours = 125.44 hours worked using Husky minus 160 with Stihl = 34.56 hours saved in one year. I dunno about you but I pay myself more than $10 per hour but lets just use ten as a figure you will then save $354.60 per year by using the Husky blower over the Stihl.

That to me seems like money well spent
Now that I just talked myself into another capital expenditure...
Anyone interested in a pair of used Stihl BR600 Blowers?

Last edited by snow4me; 01-10-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4me View Post
Now that I just talked myself into another capital expenditure...
Anyone interested in a pair of used Stihl BR600 Blowers?

I keep my BR600 for back-up and when I have to blow in an area that the quieter the better is in play.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ridin' makes a good point. A more powerful blower will not only do things faster, but it can do things that a less powerful blower just can't. Those branches that you can't move and need to pick up by hand, the leaves that you can't easily get out of the pachysandra, the wall of leaves that is no longer moving, working in the rain sleet and snow (yes, I've done that) when otherwise you'd just wait for better conditions.

I bought my 580 as a cleanup machine but found that it saves me a lot of time on the mowing route too. If I put an extra intermediate tube on it which helps focus the air stream, I can literally blow clippings off pavement from 30 feet away...a bit less in the factory configuration. I like to leave all hard surfaces spotless and on some accounts with large parking areas and turn-outs I'll just stand in one spot and swing an arc with the blower and be able to clear the whole area without moving from that spot. I don't know about you guys, but what gets me at the end of a long day is my feet, so the less walking the better.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i used the br600 all day today-the straps are a joke for a premium blower. also mine runs out of gas at 1/2 tank! its a graet blower otherwise. love the power!. of course for really big jobs i get out the redmax 8000
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Hmmm...I just caluclated the power index for the Makita and Husky and the Husky comes out to be 82% more powerfull...that's a lot!
I say Hmmm to day after talking to my Husqvarna dealer he will sell me at cost on a package deal so may get the 580 Husqvarna after all .He's to talk to the factory rep to see what is cost is he is a new dealer.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The 570 is pretty close in performance to the 580 and has higher air speed, which should scour stuck debris better. No hip belt though.

I was a little disappointed with the scouring ability of the 580 for such a big and powerful blower. I'm a tall guy and to scour I have to point it right in front of my feet, which results in some "backwash" going behind me. I bought an extra intermediate tube for it for when I'm scouring a lot of stuck stuff and for blasting out drainage ditches and stuff. I'm used to longer tubes like on the Shindaiwa machines and would rather be working out in front of myself more than at my feet. I had the same problem when I demo'd the Echo 770 though which also has short tubes.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I going to see what my dealer can do but if he is no't good on the price is it OK to buy on ebay they have the new Husqvarna 580BTS for $469.99 with FREE Standard Shipping and even less with the make offer .And the 570bts for $419 with free shipping.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...=dolmar+blower They said it is almost as strong as a Redmax 8000 and "Thougt I would give a quick update! blower has run flawless easy on gas good power and is light! I will be buying more! Very Happy!" "I have at least 20 tanks run through mine and it has been fantastic! The other thing I like is the choke on it! Unlike the redmax which drops on while using it the dolmar is choked the oposit way and does not do this! Very Nice and nice to see someone was thinking on that one!" I got the Dolmar PB-7601.4 a min. a go on ebay for $350 so I will see what it will do and I may still get the Husqvarna 580bts if the price is real good .
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

We are one of the few lawn care service companies that blow the leaves (if needed) before we spray Bio Green we use our BR -550. theres no other.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biogreen View Post
We are one of the few lawn care service companies that blow the leaves (if needed) before we spray Bio Green we use our BR -550. theres no other.
After what I read on this post http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...=Dolmar&page=3 Stihl 4 mix , the throw away trimmers I will never buy a Stihl at all!!