Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ideas for domain name for new company?

As of monday my new and second company has become a reality. trying to get every thing lined up to kick off the new year rollling hard. im trying to decide on a domain name for the website. my website for my landscape company is the company name and i regret it because it is so long, but too late to change it(ive had it for 7yrs). i want something easy to remeber and fairly short.

new company name is Kajun Flood Workz, llc
so far i have come up with:

Kajunfloodworkz.com
Kajunflood.com
floodworkz.com (i prefer to have Kajun in it since its my branding)

ideas are appreciated. Thanks fellas

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 12-05-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
i want something easy to remeber and fairly short.

new company name is Kajun Flood Workz, llc
so far i have come up with:

Kajunfloodworkz.com
Kajunflood.com
floodworkz.com (i prefer to have Kajun in it since its my branding)

ideas are appreciated. Thanks fellas
Congrats and good luck on the new endeavor, Kajun. When I was reading your other thread re: this, my first thought was wondering how you'd handle your web/email.

"Easy to remember" becomes a bit more difficult when you go with the non-traditional spelling convention. K instead of C, Z instead of S become things you have to explain each time you tell someone to visit your web site or look you up. I would probably go the easiest, least explanation-laden route and go with kajunflood.com

A simple "kajunflood.com, spelled with a K." seems like a more efficient explanation than "Sure, you can find more info on our site. Just visit kajunfloodworkz.com. That's with a K for Cajun, and finish it with a Z instead of an S. Got it?"

Domain names are cheap enough, you might as well just register the easily misspelled variations and point them to whatever you ultimately choose.

You'll want to get creative with your web site so that you capture the potentially misspelling visitors via incorporating them into your site. Maybe add them to your "about us page", something along the lines of "Glad you found us. Sometimes people type "Cajun Flood Works", but you found the right place. You can also use image alt tags or other less prominent ways to capture those searchers without further confusing your brand by overtly using the various spellings throughout your site.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks. you definitly gave me some awesome advice and great tips to generate flow to the site.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tonygreek has a good point.
Kajunflood.com would be the easiest.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2012, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ive decided to go with KajunFlood.com. I guess ill go through yahoo business with this one also since my other site is theough them and im happy with the email setup also. Plan to make two emails for this one. Going to do jacob@kajunflood.com and info@kajunflood.com
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2012, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good choice and good luck with the new venturee, Krayz.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

like tony said, you can have more than one domain point towards your site. We have one for our company name, then each division of the company has a simpler "catchy" domain that is simple to remember. The trucks have the simply catchy domains on them. We do this for our fert, irrigation, lighting, construction, holiday decor and plowing divisions. So the fert trucks have the fert domain, etc. We do the same with marketing. If it is a marketing piece specifically for irrigation, then we use that domain. More general advertising, we use the domain for the full company name.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

As far as keeping your name because you have been in business for 7 years, seems kind of pointless to me. The only people that care about your name are current clients and referrals. However, many referrals don't really care what your name is. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of your company name because it's not descriptive enough for a landscaping company, unless your focus is 100% irrigation.

I do like the brand name Kajun so you can play with that. Additionally, your domain doesn't need to be the same as your company name. Depending on your primary service I would suggest going along with something similar to:
KajunIrrigation.com
KajunLandscaping.com
KajunGrassCare.com
KajunLawnCare.com
KajunLawns.com

Or all of the above if you really want to brand the Kajun concept. I saw that most of them are available.

Depending on how you model your business and how you want to grow, it can be useful to design a nomenclature for your domains for expansion.

My first website was grasscarebatonrouge.com and I've since expanded my company to a few other cities using the same concept of grasscaremiami.com and grasscareorlando.com
Old 12-23-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hope I am not too late, but it is best to separate your words withing your domain name with a "-". KajunFlood is not a word and chances are if someone searches for your company name they will type Kajun Flood. By having your domain: Kajun-Flood.com you benefit from the individual keywords: Kajun, Flood.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No worries on that front, Dave. Search engines have zero problem parsing partial match keyword domains. The last year of Google algo changes have underscored this.