Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Getting ready for Spring

I recently had someone give me a agrifab leaf vacuum tow behind trailer. It needs new tires as the ones on it will not hold air. I wanna buy some tires that are solid rubber as I have VERY bad luck tires that involve air. Usually I buy them and they are flat in a month or so. With that being said I want tires that are solid rubber. I cannot find them anywhere. I tried ebay and google? Basically since it would be solid rubber I would need the wheel to. The size is 15x6.00-6nnhs that will fit a 1" diameter shaft. I have attached a link its on page 19 of the shaft it would need to go onto. http://www.agri-fab.com/Portals/0/Manuals/55188.pdf
Thanks
Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Getting ready for Spring

I'm not sure about where to find the solid tires for it, but have you ever tried using Slime in the air filled tires? It does a pretty good job at keeping them from going flat.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

no I have not. Good idea though. I was so upset when I bought 4 new tires and three went flat. But I like the idea of the slim. Whats the best way to apply it inside the tire? Thanks alot for the idea. I forgot that stuff existed cause I am so used to working in automotive and that stuff is usually frowned upon big time in automotive.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Getting ready for Spring

I usually just use it as the label says. You just pull the core out of the valve stem and fill the tire with the recommended amount of Slime. Then screw the valve stem core back in, air the tire up and either spin the tire for a while to get even coverage throughout the tire or ride around for a few minutes. I have always had good results with Slime, but none of the other alternatives like Fix A Flat have ever worked well. I have had a tire replaced that had slime in it and the person changing it had no issues. However, I think products like fix a flat that inflate the tire as they are used can be dangerous and difficult to remove the tire. This is because they pressurize the tire and create a chemical bond that can be difficult to break.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong10 View Post
I usually just use it as the label says. You just pull the core out of the valve stem and fill the tire with the recommended amount of Slime. Then screw the valve stem core back in, air the tire up and either spin the tire for a while to get even coverage throughout the tire or ride around for a few minutes. I have always had good results with Slime, but none of the other alternatives like Fix A Flat have ever worked well. I have had a tire replaced that had slime in it and the person changing it had no issues. However, I think products like fix a flat that inflate the tire as they are used can be dangerous and difficult to remove the tire. This is because they pressurize the tire and create a chemical bond that can be difficult to break.
Can you explain in more detail about this "chemical bond" that you claim takes place? I've mounted 1000's of tires in my 30 year career as a auto tech and have NEVER heard of a tire being difficult or even dangerous to remove after using fix a flat.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just a FYI, the smaller the tire, the easier it will lose air. The small tires used on equipment that are tubeless are the worst.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Getting ready for Spring

Orangemower, you are correct. Fix a flat should generally only be used as a temporary fix. It does not make the tire any more difficult to get off, but can be messy and difficult to get off the inside of the tire and rim. If I'm not mistaken it can actually cause some wheels to corrode where it makes contact with them if not cleaned thoroughly.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong10 View Post
Orangemower, you are correct. Fix a flat should generally only be used as a temporary fix. It does not make the tire any more difficult to get off, but can be messy and difficult to get off the inside of the tire and rim. If I'm not mistaken it can actually cause some wheels to corrode where it makes contact with them if not cleaned thoroughly.
That's right. Slime does the same thing. It will rust up the wheel. I don't bother with either product. I have a compressor and a Black Jack tire plug kit I use.