Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Walker MT-26 vs MTL vs MD

I'd like to get a new Walker this year and I'd like to hear some arguments for and against each machine. I'm planning on keeping this machine for a while so longevity is important(why I'm considering diesel) and I'd also like to take advantage of the Walker's versatility and run several implements(debris blower and dethatcher). I plan to run the 52" GHS deck, and wan't to make sure whatever tractor I get will be able to handle it with ease. I also wan't hear about maintenance costs and fuel consumption between the different models, and probably the most important factor, I want to hear what you paid for your Walker model MT-26 EFI, MTL-31 or MD.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Walker guys where you at?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do a serch, there are lots of posts on the Walker. I had a 1996 MD-GHS unit that must have been a lemon. I bought it with 2300 hours, kept it 2 years, spent lots of dollars on it, and sold it for my cost of the new parts. A lot of guys love the diesel but I would never buy another. I have a 1997 MT-GHS- 20 hp with 5500+ hours. Very nice machine. For decks I run 42", 48", 62" plus a Buffalo Turbine blower for leaves. A home made push blade for dirt, a home made dump insert for the hopper for mulch, dirt, compost. I have the hydrolic lift so its a "power"wheel borrow. I have no problem with power for what I do but if I was to get another it would be the MT-26EFI unit. Like any mower, they all have parts that wear out with use. The better the lawns are that you mow, the less wear you will have. Thin grass areas create dust, bad for the engin, and sand that causes extra wear on the deck, blades,and blower system. I adverage a gallon per hour on gas. By greasing the moveing parts now and then, they last a lot longer than the mowers with non greaseable points. Most guys look at the Walker as just a mower but its not. Its a multi tool power unit that is very handy for other jobs beside mowing.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

im looking at buying a walker in about a month or two. The ones i am looking at have anywhere between 1200 to 1800 hours on them. I agree on the fact it is more than just for mowing, it is and can be used as a multi purpose tool for a lawn care company. Instead of buying a seperate machine for every job you can do you can just get attachments for the walker that can do a lot of things.
I am looking at an mtghs with a 26hpefi.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWLC View Post
im looking at buying a walker in about a month or two. The ones i am looking at have anywhere between 1200 to 1800 hours on them. I agree on the fact it is more than just for mowing, it is and can be used as a multi purpose tool for a lawn care company. Instead of buying a seperate machine for every job you can do you can just get attachments for the walker that can do a lot of things.
I am looking at an mtghs with a 26hpefi.
The 26 efi unit is a nice engin. A friend had one that he didn't take care of and I was amasied at how well it ran for no care. If your interested in a multi tool power unit, another one to consider is a Ventrac. After 20+ years of mowing and landscaping I now realise I should have bought one. This unit is like the " big brother" to a Walker. It would open the door to many more jobs that you can't do with a Walker. Watch some of the utube vidoes to get a good understanding of the jobs the Ventrac can do.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah i have seen the ventrac but at the cost i could buy 2 walkers.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWLC View Post
yeah i have seen the ventrac but at the cost i could buy 2 walkers.
You could probely buy 4 Walkers after buying the most useful attachements for a Ventrac. Its just that there are so many other jobs that a Ventrac can do that a walker can't. What would be best is to have a Walker for the smaller lawns and a Ventrac for the larger lawns and for the landscaping aspect of the business. Just my 2 cents of hind site.