Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-04-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Help Picking Out A Truck To Tow A 16ft Enclosed Trailer

My goal is to get a truck to two a 16ft enclosed trailer with two Walkers, a push mower, 2 Weed whackers, a Kombi unit, a chain saw, two back back blowers, fuel and misc tools.

I've been concerned about DOT rules, I'm trying to stay with in them.

What I understand is that a truck and trailer weight can not exceed 26,000lbs or a CDL is required.

If possible, I would like to get a truck with a GRVW of 10,000lbs or less.
(This would save me hundreds of dollars each year even with Commercial plates)

Would I be breaking the rules if I towed a 16ft trailer with all of the items mentioned above with a 3/4 ton (diesel) single rear wheel truck with a 8-9ft dump bed? Sure the rear suspension will need to be built up to handle the weight but is it legal? Am I missing something or should a DRW set up be the only way to go?

Right now, I have a 2012 F350 SRW 6.2 gas Reg Cab/8Ft bed combo and I feel as if its 11,300 GVW (insured for 12,000lbs) is expensive to run (for what it is).

I want a second truck that can dump debris and carry a heavy trailer but I don't want to give the govt all of my money.

Thank you!
Freddie
Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

It sounds like you are trying to reduce the weight on your tags to save money. Your tags need to cover the weight if your rig loaded. A CDL is required if the GVWR is 26000 +. Also if you actual weight exceeds this. Regardless of what truck you buy (most 3/4 tons are usually under 10k) make sure your tags cover your actual weight. Commercial enforcement WILL pull out scales.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What's the gvwr of the trailer? 7k or 10k would be the norm.

My chev 3/4 tons are 9200lbs so that's under your 10k. Older superduty's are under 10k.

The real question what are you trying to save and how much could you lose trading or buying other trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

You guys have both made great points.

I guess the reason I'm thinking this way is because I think all of this DOT stuff is a bunch of crap and I hate it.

I never envisioned cutting lawns to be so involved and expensive.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to get another crew running, I'd like to do so and keep costs as low as possible.

I hate to say it but I think I either have to convert my truck to a dump body or sell it for a dump truck and get myself something else.

My fault was in my truck purchase. I failed to understand GRVW and DOT laws and how they applied to my decision.

Its a bummer when you realized you've done a good thing and still messed up.

If you have to get a 1-ton truck get it with the 10K package and you'll save hundreds every year.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just remeber when you hook your 9200lb truck to a trailer your combined gvwr will be over 10,001 lbs and you need to follow the dot laws anyways.

I know one guy around here that has a 05 f150 6900lb gvwr and a 3000lb single axle trailer (aluminum) so he's under the 10k. He has been weighed a couple times and always under 10k. That is the only guy I've seen around my area that I know is running under the 10k.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I was you And trying to do it as cheep as possible a 1500/150 short bed with a 14 ft open trailer this is my setup I can fit a 60 zturn 52 and 36 stander on it get 20+mpg without the trailer 15-17 with
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawcett View Post
I've been concerned about DOT rules, I'm trying to stay with in them.

What I understand is that a truck and trailer weight can not exceed 26,000lbs or a CDL is required.
As pointed out you need to stay under 10,001 lbs to avoid having to get DOT numbers and meeting DOT regulations for fitness medical exam, safety equipment, etc.

The key is to have trucks gvwr and trailer weight rating total 10,000 lbs or less.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There are different DOT rules for interstate and intrastate travel. DMV, DOT and the State Police can't even seen to agree exactly what they are in my state.

Do the Regulations Apply to Me? CGS 14-163c
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations apply to the following vehicles that
operate in Interstate or Intrastate commerce: This includes Farm vehicles.
1) Vehicles that have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross
combination weight rating (GCWR) of 10,001 or more pounds; (Note: For carriers
that operate solely in Intrastate commerce, the regulations apply at 18,001
pounds or more)
Old 01-06-2013, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

It's hards to stay under 10000 and work. I have seen guys with 3/4 ton trucks with dove tail beds. This would be an option. Over the past few years there has been a crackdown around here. I had a friend pulling a 7000 lb trailer with a Tacoma and get ticketed for not having commercial tags or dot numbers.