Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

What do I do to get equipment in cutting condition??

Ok, so Iíve just been offered this list of lawn care equipment to get me started in the industry. I was hoping to get some information on what type of equipment I am looking at and what my ď1st things 1stĒ list should be in getting them in a solid working condition. My plan is to get the second walk behind in proper working condition to use as my main cutting machine, but itís a 61Ē mover and I assumed .5 to 1 acre lawns would be my start and this just seems huge for that type of lawn.

This is step one in the process for me and any help is greatly appreciated guys. Iíve listed as much information as I could find on each machine.

So the first piece of equipment is in pretty good condition as is. He is not willing to part with it just yet, but it can be used at any time.

The second unit looked to be in pretty good condition, but will need some TLC. It started on the first pull, after sitting since June. The most obvious problem is dry rot on some of the hoses and body rust. It has the seat attachment (last image) and an additional set of the large tires with it.

This last Snapper was in no condition to even discuss with him. I was thinking that there may be a few options in either restoring it or just pulling the motor and adding it to another machine.
That is it for the mowers. Iíll add the blowers, trimmer and a few other items shortly. Again, I appreciate any information you can help with.

1 Ė 61Ē walk behind
1 Ė 61Ē zero turn, I think itís called. Seat attachment included
1 Ė 36Ē ride on (Salvage?)
2 Ė Gas blowers
1 Ė Gas trimmer
1 Ė Gas bushwacker trimmer.
If needed:
Aerator, 2nd trimmer, backpack blower, small push mower, mulcher, edger
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd keep looking if I were you. Steer clear of that stuff!! Cheaper isn't the way to go on equipment.
Trac vac loaders and bagger
Billygoat 1302sp blower
Stihl handhelds
2003 GMC C4500 14ft dump
1998 Chevy 1500 Z71 with 8ft EZ dumper
2003 GMC W3500 18ft box cabover
6.5x12 landscape trailer
Jrco leaf plow
Part time for now and solo for now.
Third year!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't have to pay for any of the equipment, just servicing it.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

just start by going over each piece and getting it clean and checking out everything, oil & filter change, maybe even do the spark plugs on each. Have they been sitting for any length of time? If so you may want to drain the gas and start fresh. Check all the belts and hoses for dry rot, if they are replace them.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Who is this guy that gave you all this equipment . Before you start dumping money into this equipment see if engines spin free if they are sea-zed it's probably not worth fixing
Old 01-04-2013, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Everything starts just fine, but yes they have been sitting for a while. At least since last spring. I'm planning on spending the weekend taking care of as much of that type of stuff Show. I'd feel better about it all once I've done a thorough cleaning and tuneup.

Joe, these are all coming from my pap-in-law.

So is this a reasonable place to start a business though? I have a list of all the other items, but I can't post from my location. Trimmer, blowers etc.. I'll post them later today.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Whenever I acquire a piece of equipment I go through it top to bottom. I always start with a full service.

Wash/ Degrease everything
Engine Oil + Filter
Hydro Oil + Filter
Fuel (Drain old fuel and replace with new) + Filter
Clean/ rebuild carburetors as necessary
Spark Plugs
Air Filter
Grease everything
Check belts and replace as necessary ( I always have extra belts on hand just in case)
Sharpen/ Replace Blades
Check tire condition and pressure.

Then I replace/ rebuild anything that is worn or looks like it may cause a problem.
Wheel Bearing
Spindle Bearings
Idler Pulleys
Tires
Casters
Hydro Hoses
Fuel Lines
Etc.

Thats just a basic list off the top of my head. I like to be pretty through when I go through everything. I would rather deal with potential problems not then have equipment go down during the season.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry I didn't know you didn't have to pay for any of it. Just do what show and go said. I would replace all filters,hoses,oil,cables,belts, and blades. Clean them up and but some paint on them and make some money. Plan on buying something nicer soon as possible and keep those for back ups.
Trac vac loaders and bagger
Billygoat 1302sp blower
Stihl handhelds
2003 GMC C4500 14ft dump
1998 Chevy 1500 Z71 with 8ft EZ dumper
2003 GMC W3500 18ft box cabover
6.5x12 landscape trailer
Jrco leaf plow
Part time for now and solo for now.
Third year!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

OK if it's mechanically sound. you can start by looking at belt tension adjust so it don't have to much play. get new blades or with grinder sharpen them it's cheaper this way I do mine with grinder
Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds good guys! Iím a pretty thorough guy also and would prefer to catch as much as I can before I leave home. Iíd like to get that walk behind going asap! Iíll use the cruiser when I can justify having it fulltime.
Iíve added picks of the other items Iíll be getting. They will also need tune-ups. My biggest concern at the moment is 1) what to do with a 61Ē mower!! That thing looks like itís meant for open field work! 2) Getting a good starter trailer that provides security. 3) FINDING WORK in Atlanta!! Any suggestions on any of these issues? Just to put it out there, this will be headed towards a fulltime business asap. Iíve managed warehousing for 10 years and IíM OVER IT (Hope that didnít carry the emotion I was feeling)! Iím ok with managing a staff down the road a bit, but right now I see my ticket out of there and Iím planning on pursuing lawn care with a passion! Any and ALL guidance is appreciated.
Attached Images