Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kawasaki Trimmer starting & new trimmer info

Was at my dealer today and was discussing buying a new Kawasaki trimmer and I said the only thing I don't like about the one I have is that it is so cold natured and has to be choked every time and the colder it is, the longer it takes to warm up and be ready for use.

The owner told me that the Kawasaki rep let him in on a secret; go through the normal starting process (pump bulb, set choke on, crank) and as soon as it starts, flip it upside down and hold down the throttle. Worked like a charm, the sucker started right up and ran like crazy. Supposedly has to do with all the EPA regulations they have to meet. He also said that next years Kawasaki trimmers will add a "high torque" model that will let you run very long trimmer line without bogging down the trimmer.

While I was there, I noticed that they are now handling RedMax blowers. Now he is the only dealer that handles RedMax in our area. He's really high on them.

2009 Nissan Titan pullling a 18 ft PJ Trailer
2011 Kubota ZD326S (60") - 26HP Kubota Diesel
2010 Bob-Cat FastCat Pro 48" w/Accelerator (20HP Kawa)
Non-commercial 21" walk-behind
Blowers (Stihl BG85/Husqvarna 170BT)
Trimmers (Stihl KM110 & FS90, Kawa Multi-Tool)
Chainsaws (Stihl MS180 & MS362 w/20 & 24" bars)
& misc hand tools & equipment
Old 10-01-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder what they're doing to the carb to cause that to happen. I have a Kawi trimmer and she has been known to be a little cold natured. I couldn't actually get it to stay running for more than 10 minutes for the first year I had it. It runs great now, once it warms up.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mine has always run great, but I always have to let it idle for some time to get it to have any power. Hitting the throttle to much and she just dies. When I watched him do this, it instantly came up to speed and was immediately usable. Can't wait to try it tomorrow.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I will also try it tomorrow on my Kaw trimmer. I usually don't use it much because of the warm up process.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It works so great. Now I just flip it over and go to town. No more waiting a few minutes to run trimmer. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ain't gravity great!

......AMF!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My gas cap leaks so I cant try that til I can find the part # for the cap.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Check this out, I picked up a new old stock/return not sure if the story Red Max HBZ2600 Blower with a 2005 build date (pre-husky) off ebay. I take it out of the box it looks like new and had a little fuel in the bulb. I put fresh fuel in it and took it out back to fire it up. The blower fired up but died when a I pulled on the throttle. After about ten minutes of tinkering I remembered this thread and decided to flip it upside down and BINGO! the Blower ran like a champ! I just need to flip it during warm-up! I figure the first owner got frustrated trying to start it so it just sat all these years, the Blower is in good hands now.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmelli View Post
Check this out, I picked up a new old stock/return not sure if the story Red Max HBZ2600 Blower with a 2005 build date (pre-husky) off ebay. I take it out of the box it looks like new and had a little fuel in the bulb. I put fresh fuel in it and took it out back to fire it up. The blower fired up but died when a I pulled on the throttle. After about ten minutes of tinkering I remembered this thread and decided to flip it upside down and BINGO! the Blower ran like a champ! I just need to flip it during warm-up! I figure the first owner got frustrated trying to start it so it just sat all these years, the Blower is in good hands now.
That just means you better get rid of it quick. When a machine needs to have all this kind of stuff done then it is not going to run at all conditions as it wears in. YOu just have got to buy equipment with adjustable carb.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
That just means you better get rid of it quick. When a machine needs to have all this kind of stuff done then it is not going to run at all conditions as it wears in. YOu just have got to buy equipment with adjustable carb.
Actually it does not need any fancy starting procedure anymore. I think is was just finicky from sitting. Fires right up now after a couple pulls in the cold.