Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-30-2014, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

nightmare grading job. lessons learned.

How do i post pictures from my phone?

Im sitting here writing this because im pretending to work as my guys shovel mud up a hill.

Day one: had twenty loads of fill brought in the day before. I wasn't on site to tell them where to dump so I just explained it over the phone. Get to the job and they dumped it on the lot to the right of the house. It needed to go to the left. That's TWENTY tandem loads placed in the wrong spot. Luckily the contractor was really nice and let it slide. That added another 400' to the area I was filling though.

Day two: got everything filled and started compacting the hill with the tracks on my bobcat (driving up and down). At this time it started to rain. Well I started too get a little cocky on the machine and drove down a slope that was to steep for muddy/loose fill and slid the bobcat sideways to the bottom. It took me 3 hours of digging with a shovel and a hefty winch to get it out. Luckily it didn't flip.

Day 3: still raining... after about an hour of work I go to turn around in a mud pit and BAM! a 3/4" hydraulic line for the right drive blew. No big deal, I'll just pop another one on... wrong. In order to replace the hose I have to remove the track, which isn't a big deal on solid ground. However, I'm stuck in a mud pit and have no hydraulic fluid left in the machine to use the bucket to lift me out. So I broke out the shovel again and dug out that side, shoved some rocks under it and jacked up the machine.

I take off the hose, find that it blew a hole in the return line, take that off and call bobcat. Well it turns out that the only shop with the part is a two hour drive away. Drive all the way there and the guy gives me the wrong size hose. (Lesson learned always bring the broken part with you). Get it running/cleaned up.

Day 4: just pissed off, cold, and muddy. No problems. Built the boulder all, finished grading, then installed the straw erosion blanket. Well when I was explaining the job to the client I had mentioned a hemp material, but ended up buying basic straw blanket with the plastic in it because it was $35 a roll compared to the hemp (jute) which was $160 a roll. He came home and didn't like that it wasn't hemp. I tried explaining that it was another $750 to get hemp and it does the exact same thing. I end up having to eat the cost of the straw roll, tear it out, then replace it with hemp.

Day 5:last day of work, all we have to do is install the dry creek bed to keep the hill from washing out...... sure enough... the night before we got 2" of rain in 3 hours. I had straw bales staked in the ground and a silt fence at the top, but the water was just too strong. (Another lesson learned, always go above and beyond if you know a storm is coming). I was sitting in my garage that night just starring at this deluge of water coming down knowing that all of the drainage basin just got washed out. Nightmares turned to reality the next morning. Im guessing around 15 yards of dirt washed out, and I can't get a machine in so we're hand digging it and throwing it up hill....

Just one back breaking headache after another. The worst part is knowing that most of the mistakes were caused by me making poor decisions, and I knew better but kept on screwing up. Maybe it was the cold rain or being covered in mud for 4 days. My brain just wasn't firing on all cylinders.... anyways that's my rant.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2014, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you go on website computer on your phone, not mobile app and do same thing as on computer. BUT, it only does 1 photo per page even though it looks like it will do 9 or soothing. And this job sounds like a pain.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

As someone who works in erosion control, I feel your pain. I have never had it quite as bad as you, but water can be cruel somedays.
Integrated Erosion Control and Storm Management

And I'm 19...
Old 12-30-2014, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Use photobucket, and just post the IMG code. A lot faster.

Have had days like that. Where you just keep making a mistake. Sometimes you just have to step back and breathe.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I see you are north of ATL. What city/neighborhood were you working in?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2014, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you just took the week off, with all the pending rain, just imagine how much further along you'd be.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you need a mini excavator with a clean up bucket! I've done many erosion jobs in the rain with a mini, just grade what you can reach as you back out. It seems like every time I clean out a retension basin it rains...
Old 01-06-2015, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Yikes. That sounds like a predicament id find myself in. That usually happens when i try to beat the winter weather or when im trying to keep employees busy. Learned my lesson too many times. I also feel you on the material change. I always try and make up lost dollars that way. Its always after the fact when you realize you told the customer exactly what you were gonna use.
Posted via Mobile Device