Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2012, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

does speed zone suck or do I?

I got speedzone for any broadleaf weeds that r still around for the dec. app. i rode past the few homes that did have them and they r still there. the tips of the broadleaf's are speckled dead but it didn't kill the weed. this was 2 weeks ago. I'm at a loss i don't know what happened i read the label and did everything i was supposed to do. Does this product just not work real well? its for cool season weeds on bermuda turf so I'm just confused. can anyone help and if this stuff just doesn't work all that well whats your recommendation? i wanna get these weeds knocked out and ready for next yrs growing season with weed free lawns. thanks!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Works great. What rate? Temps low... Could delay kill. Beer had a problem. What weeds are u targeting?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

diff variety of broadleaf's. its like it didn't touch them at a ugh rate according to the label. when you say delay could it delay 2 weeks? its been 2 weeks and its kinda embarrassing it has barely turned. just spotty dead spots on the broadleaf's
Old 12-16-2012, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Weeds are tough now. The uptake is slow because of less sunlight. They may still be green but their chemical reaction to take products to their roots is very slow or almost non-existent. Did you use any surfactant such a MSO? Some weeds like clover and plantain (Plantago) have a waxy coating which further block the absorption into the cell wall. Couple that with cool nights, short days--well, you see the point.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good comments above. Most weeds are mainly affected by the phenoxy herbicides during periods of rapid growth, dryness, maturity, tough weeds and cool weather will slow the kill process. Take a careful look at the new leaves near the center of dandelions.
The PPO inhibitor herbicides like carfentrazone, are fast-acting contact herbicides...they are most effective on seedling weeds. They kill spots on leaves--and the whole plant if the spots are close together.

Good point--maybe I will try it and see if carfentrazone (Quicksilver) will work in cold weather. Warmer than normal here...46.
I think I can find some chickweed, plantain, and violets.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
I got speedzone for any broadleaf weeds that r still around for the dec. app. i rode past the few homes that did have them and they r still there. the tips of the broadleaf's are speckled dead but it didn't kill the weed. this was 2 weeks ago. I'm at a loss i don't know what happened i read the label and did everything i was supposed to do. Does this product just not work real well? its for cool season weeds on bermuda turf so I'm just confused. can anyone help and if this stuff just doesn't work all that well whats your recommendation? i wanna get these weeds knocked out and ready for next yrs growing season with weed free lawns. thanks!!!
Speedzone works so......

How did u apply it and what rate is the question.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If the temps are cool or you are in a dry spell te herbicide may take a few weeks to work.

Was your equipment calibrated correctly?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe something like Simazine would be better this time of year. Of course it will not be fast acting but would give longer term control.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I am in the same area as you. I am using Simazine mixed with Trimec classic right now.I have noticed it takes a week or two until I am able to see results. Seems to work better when it is watered in.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

you also have to consider the time of year,translocation ,is the plant actively growing are all factores.