Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Falling citrus tree

One of the houses I maintain has a prolific lemon & lime tree in the back which has succumbed to two things - overburdened branches and a flaw in the trunk. The resident wants to prop the tree back up but trying to push on it reveals that there is no bending this tree back to an upright position. I'm not sure if soaking the soil & then propping it back upright, leaving a bend in the base of the trunk, is a good idea. What say ye?
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

make lemonade....duh
Old 01-10-2013, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

No doubt! If this were ours, we'd be all over it & this wouldn't have been an issue. I always have to pick up a half dozen or more lemons each time I'm there, probably just from that day. The setup for this place isn't ideal, it's only every other week & they only want the bare minimum done but it's a nice place & a shame that this tree may have to go.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure how easily lemon trees are pruned, but if this was an apple planting, I'd either espailier it or take all the weight off of it, that causes it to lean away from the building,,, drive in a T-post and hold it into position... perhaps tie to the wall if it is OK to put in an I-bolt through the siding...
I hate to see things planted in such a bad location, but it IS there now...

If possible,,, suggest a wire framework along that wall for espalier...
Old 01-11-2013, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Not a bad idea - my only concern, really, is the possibility of breaking the trunk when I force it back upright. It has a wound covering about half of the base, which I'm pretty sure was a major contributor to its present state.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't get what the wound covering around the base means... Isn't it just tipping over becuz,,, it is planted too close to the foundation of the building and therefore extremely off balance???

Unless there is something unusual that we do see from the pix,,, thestress is likely taking place right now... By standing it upright again you'll be relieving the stress and it would feel even better, for the tree, if some of the excessive weight on the heavy side was pruned away...
I would think that you were correct in your point about soaking the roots and settling them into the correct relationship to the soil... be careful though that the loose soil may allow those roots to pop out even further and let the tree collapse onto the ground...

If there is still a concern about the truck breaking and the wound dressing, describe it in a little more detail,,, becuz sometimes it is difficult for the ideas to communicate...