Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Double blade fabrication

Its oak leave, magnolia leave, and pesky pine needle time in Florida again. This year the winter has been very mild so the grass is still growing and the leaves are falling. I have been mulching since late November and wanted better results cutting the grass and pulverizing leaves. After searching lawnsite I purchased G6 blades and was very disappointed with the results. I then did a search on double blades. Almost all of what I read was people slapping two sets on and letting them rip. This concerned me for 2 reasons. First, the blades could spin and not be lined up. Second, the extra weight could damage the clutch, belts, and spindles. So I tried to come up with a solution of my own. First of all I searched mower blades looking for ones that were particularly lightweight.

Picture #1: I fabricated notches in the lightweight blade on the right to fit the factory grasshopper gator blade.

Picture #2: The notches hold the blade in place in one direction - the washer locks it in in the other.

Picture#3: Everything balanced.

Picture#4: I put this pic up to show that the combination of oem gator blade plus the lightweight mulching blade are barely heavier than one G6 blade.

Picture #5: The entire setup installed under the deck of my grashopper 41".

Pictures # 6 and #7: A side discharge setup that I fabricated with a honda quadracut top blade. This is as of yet untested but will be come springtime.

The mulching setup worked out awesome - could not be more pleased. When I engage the blades It feels and sounds no different than a single blade. Everything stays balanced and in place. It vaporizes leaves and pine needles while still leaving a crisp cut. Just what I was looking for.
Attached Images

Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
5 x 8 landscape trailer w/rack
SOLO OPERATION
84 accounts cutting grass and loving it!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i like your style. i have been happy with the G6 blades overall, but they of course cant compare to 2 blades in a cross. not apples to apples.

i was thinking of trying something like this, but hate to waste the money on blades if i mess up
Old 01-05-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

looks like a nice blade setup! just wondering if that top blade that is notched out will fatigue or hold if something accidentally hits it. make sure that everything is balanced, other than that let us now how it works out. im surprised about you statement, what didn't you like about the g6 blade?? I've ran them under my deere, as well as the hustler vx4 deck, and velocity plus with outstanding results.

would definitely like to hear what happened with those....

14 Years old
Old 01-05-2013, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmarkboy13 View Post
looks like a nice blade setup! just wondering if that top blade that is notched out will fatigue or hold if something accidentally hits it. make sure that everything is balanced, other than that let us now how it works out. im surprised about you statement, what didn't you like about the g6 blade?? I've ran them under my deere, as well as the hustler vx4 deck, and velocity plus with outstanding results.

would definitely like to hear what happened with those....
If you tighten the blades to factory spec I'm assuming that it would be no different than hitting something with one blade. Have not hit anything yet - so I don't really know. The G6 did not mulch the bigger leaves well but particularily the pine needles. There would be pine neeedle remnants all over the lawn when finished. Also, they did not stay sharp any longer than the oem gators. Maybe its the Florida sand. With this double blade setup it legitimately looks bagged when I'm done. A huge difference.
Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
SOLO OPERATION
Old 01-05-2013, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just gotr back from my last lawn of the week. These pics are not too great but if you look closely you can see one stripe I mowed on the golf course where the pine needle fragments start/stop. The golf course grass is actually cut shorter but looks like a$$ because of the pine needle fragments. I mowed this with the mulching setup pictured above.
Attached Images

Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
SOLO OPERATION
Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like the idea and would love to do something like this, only downside to this, and its IMO a pretty big downside if I'm correct, I feel doing this will wear out the spindles faster.

1999 GMC 2500 4x4 w/ 7'6" Western Unimount
48in Exmark Viking
Honda 21"
2x Redmax String Trimmiers
Redmax Blowers - 8050 & 8001
13hp Billy Goat Walk-behind Blower
Brown Bed Edger
Husqvarna 372XP
Husqvarna 327PT5S
Stihl 026
Snapper Snow Blower
Wheel Barrows & Hand Tools.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Lawn&Grounds View Post
I like the idea and would love to do something like this, only downside to this, and its IMO a pretty big downside if I'm correct, I feel doing this will wear out the spindles faster.
I thought about this too. But I figured that if the weight was as much as a single blade and everything was balanced properly it won't be an issue. It sounds and feels real solid. No unusual noises, vibrations or rattles. I guess time will tell.
Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
SOLO OPERATION
Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Instead of a 90-degree offset, stacking the blades on top of each other will allow them to make two cuts in any grass blade, pine straw, etc. that's sticking up. This will make the cut material two smaller pieces vs. one large piece, which means it will disperse move evenly or fill a grass bag more completely.

All but a couple of Honda models use twin-blades this way, and the cut quality is excellent.

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I run a similar set up in the fall for bagging. Series 4 exmark deck. Gator mulching blade stacked on top of an exmark standard mulching blade. I get a lot of lift, some blow out on the right side of the deck, a packed bagger, and a clean pass
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Cutting into the stock blade and weakening it then placing it on a system to turn it 200mph is pretty interesting. Making a saddle for the second blade might be a little safer and cheaper in the long run.
I've used them in the past, my big trouble was the heaver load on the clutch. Starting double the weight was one thing but stopping that weight was very hard on the clutch brake.