Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2013, 05:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turning tall grass short View Post
Cutting into the stock blade and weakening it then placing it on a system to turn it 200mph is pretty interesting. Making a saddle for the second blade might be a little safer and cheaper in the long run.
I've used them in the past, my big trouble was the heaver load on the clutch. Starting double the weight was one thing but stopping that weight was very hard on the clutch brake.
I don't think the blade was weakened by the notches. Everything is supported when its tightened down. I have already run this setup for over 20 hours and have inspected evrything with a fine tooth comb. As far as I can tell there are no differences than running a single blade. I thought I clearly showed in the picture above that this setup is barely heavier than a single G6 blade.
Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
5 x 8 landscape trailer w/rack
SOLO OPERATION
84 accounts cutting grass and loving it!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@honda View Post
Instead of a 90-degree offset, stacking the blades on top of each other will allow them to make two cuts in any grass blade, pine straw, etc. that's sticking up. This will make the cut material two smaller pieces vs. one large piece, which means it will disperse move evenly or fill a grass bag more completely.

All but a couple of Honda models use twin-blades this way, and the cut quality is excellent.

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
I thought about that but could not figure a way to do it without lowering the bottom blade. The honda mowers that use this system have everything machine fitted. I am going to try the quadracut top blade with an extreme high lift oem blade in springtime. As you can see in the pic, the honda blade sits perfectly across the 2 1/2" factory high lift. It was then simply a matter of putting in a washer reducing the hole from 1 1/4" to 1/2". In the spring/summer I am not as worried about pulverizing leaves and grass because I side discharge. I am more hoping this setup leads to a crisper cut with less stringers.
Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
SOLO OPERATION
Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The blades that you notched looked like they were notched at a 90 Degree with a sharp inside corner and that could cause issues with a stress fracture from the 90 degree corner to the blade bolt hole.I would round the inside corners of the notch out .Sharp corners create stress risers, couple that with harmonics and it could lead to catastrophic failure.Honestly I would stick with blades that were straight in the center and just stack them right on top of each other ( + )and tighten the bolt down as I never had an issue running them like that in the past. Good luck and be safe.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboynormmie View Post
The blades that you notched looked like they were notched at a 90 Degree with a sharp inside corner and that could cause issues with a stress fracture from the 90 degree corner to the blade bolt hole.I would round the inside corners of the notch out .Sharp corners create stress risers, couple that with harmonics and it could lead to catastrophic failure.Honestly I would stick with blades that were straight in the center and just stack them right on top of each other ( + )and tighten the bolt down as I never had an issue running them like that in the past. Good luck and be safe.
I understand what you are saying about the stress at the corner, but the flat part of the blades still contact and once they are tightened, I really don't think they would move even without the notches. I have cut some pretty thick growth with this setup (the grass is still really growing in Florida - it was 84 degrees today) and so far have seen no indication of a problem. If I see even the slightest crack I will scrap the whole idea and run them like you said.
Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
SOLO OPERATION
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting concept for sure! I think mower companies oughta look into doing something like that.

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 01-09-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is really interesting i cut mainly st. augustine grass and side discharge it so I don't really have the need for it, but it seems to be top notch!