Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2014, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A tip/rant/suggestion on site "Chat" features

There are many sites that have the bar across the bottom for "live chat" through one of the many services that provide it.

However, before you implement such a thing, take careful consideration to how often you will actually be AVAILABLE for chat. Drives me nuts when I go to a site that has one and during the day (business hours for the site) they are listed offline, then the geek in me starts going back to check... And it is ridiculous to see that at all hours of the day for a full week, all you get is "We are currently offline, leave a message".

IMO, if you are not going to actively on a regular basis be available for chat, DITCH IT for a plain contact form. To me, that just tells me the company isn't serious about their site. Which being a web geek, makes me wonder about the other aspects of their business.

So please, if you have a chat feature and are not actively using it, consider how your client base interprets that you are never available, and if you are thinking of one, plan out how often you can be at a device that allows you to immediately interact with customers.

/RANT

-Greg
Old 03-13-2014, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

That pisses me off too. Even more, if they're offline why advertise that they have chat at all? They could just as easy tie their chat to their IM so that it only shows up on their website when they are actually live on IM!

Doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Sponsor

Agreed! It's also really frustrating when they are online but for some reason, it takes several minutes to get a response beyond an automated "how my I help you"?