Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Whatcha'll think I should do?
6x12 bumper pull 1 2.94%
7x12 bumper pull 7 20.59%
7x14 bumper pull 22 64.71%
7x14 gooseneck 1 2.94%
Duddde nooo, just get a dump truck 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2013, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Dump Trailer Thoughts

I know threads about dump trailers are about as common as "How much should I charge for this" or "Should I quit my day job to start mowing lawns", but I'd like a little bit of advice before on pull the trigger on a new trailer, and I figure a lot of you guys have been there, done that, and given it a lot of thought.

I've been thinking a dump trailer is the way to go, I'd buy another truck but can't seem to find anything decent in my price range right now. It would be nice to have a backup, a diesel dually for when I need it with a dump body or insert, and another plow truck but to be honest I haven't really grown into needing another truck yet, perhaps next summer.

I'm thinking a dump trailer would be the way to go for me right now. I've been looking at Sure Trac and Bri-Mar and would like to get atleast a 12 footer, and as much as I'd love to have a big gooseneck, I'm not sure if my truck would like a big 14" gooseneck with a 14k GVW. Right now I'm pulling with an 01 2500 (non hd) chevy with a 6.0, its got some rust and I don't wanna kill it. I want to go bigger than I need right now for sure, but I don't wanna go too big and have an unhappy truck pulling it, and get terrible gas mileage even if I'm just using the trailer for something little. Also my other trailer is a single axle 16 footer, just thought I'd mention that. The main uses for the dump trailer will be firewood, stone, dirt, mulch, as well as leaves and brush. Regardless of the size it'll probably end up getting some removable wooden sides put on it to double the size of the metal sides.

One other thing that concerns me is its very likely that I'll need to rent/buy/borrow a skid steer in the future and rather than having to buy and register another trailer, I'd like to kill two birds with one stone on this purchase. Will most wheeled skid steers fit on a 6-6.5 foot wide dump trailer or would I definitely need one thats 7 feet wide. The main reason I ask is because the price difference is around a grand, and the narrower the trailer the easier it is to drive with on a daily basis. I figure a 6 footer would be less wind resistance/ better gas mileage. What experience does everyone else have with this?

I know that no one knows my needs like I do, but I've tried laying out all my concerns. The main reason I'm think I should go with a dump trailer is the fact that I'd have to lift stuff up a lot higher to load it into a dump truck. With a dump trailer a wheel barrow and ramps would work like a charm. That being said, What do you guys think? Thanks!

Last edited by BckYrdLmbrJk; 10-28-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im curious to see what everyone says... im tagging along. I have an '04 2500hd 6.0 gasser... im looking to upgrade trucks next year to a 3500hd or f350 or maybe 450 all diesel. I am currently in the search for a dump 12-14'. I think getting a dump is the way to go as long you have a truck to pull it... which you do. Cheaper to maintain, and fan be left onsite to load/unload.

www.SoCalPonds.com
Old 10-28-2013, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

First things first don't worried about your gas mileage between a 6 and 7. It not going to be much different. We have a 7x12 and can fit a t190 in it. But I don't like doing it often. Hard to balance. Dump trailer are a good starting point. We had ours for 9 months and then bought a dump truck. They both have there places.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm trying to decide as well. I borrowed a friends 16ft but that was wayyyy too heavy for me. I'm trying to decide between 12 and 14. I'm going to pick up an 18-20 ft eq trailer so not too worried about that
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is what I did:

I wanted to share what I did in your situation.

I don't mow only landscape and hardscape construction.
I have a 2006 f-250 5.4 liter truck.

Bought the Cam superline 7x14 bumper pull with the 14,000 pound rating since the trailer empty weight is 4,000 pounds. Barn doors. Love it. Let me say that again. Love it.

I bought mine larger since I rent skid steers and excavators. When I priced them the smaller dumps were about the same price, so I went larger and I am very satisfied. I also looked at bargain brands but ended up with the top of the line Cam superline after really looking at the quality factor. Cam has way more features and convinces but your gonna pay. Look at their webpage, aluminum ramps, built in charger ports, under bed tool storage, galvanized trailers, wireless key fobs etc.

I love the size except for driving down narrow streets and backing up. I did not want a 5th wheel because I use the bed of my truck for toolboxes and such. I felt the extra room would give me room to walk around a machine and chain it down properly. Also the extra internal room allows me to not have boards on the top so I can easily dump over the sides with a mini skid steer ( I own a bobcat mt-52). I never really got the super tall sides unless you were hauling brush.

The good things about going big:
-extra capacity
-extra length allows you to balance equipment over trailer wheels better and take weight off tow vehicle (very important)
-ability to load excavators in backwards and swing them around without hitting counterweight
-ability to haul mulch in front and soil in rear with a separator
-ability to get in tractor loader backhoes without getting a ticket
-you can load debris while having soils in the rear without mixing.

The bad things about going big:
-extra capacity entices you to majorly overload
-backing, parking, etc
-fuel/mileage
-cost

NOTE: I will tell you that getting a skid steer in a dump trailer is scary to the say the least though. The angle of the ramps when you drop those wheels off the back will make you shart your pants. For this reason I usually just have skids delivered, or I rent the trailer at the rental yard with the skid. It does work great for excavators and mini skids though!
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
I wanted to share what I did in your situation.

I don't mow only landscape and hardscape construction.
I have a 2006 f-250 5.4 liter truck.

Bought the Cam superline 7x14 bumper pull with the 14,000 pound rating since the trailer empty weight is 4,000 pounds. Barn doors. Love it. Let me say that again. Love it.

I bought mine larger since I rent skid steers and excavators. When I priced them the smaller dumps were about the same price, so I went larger and I am very satisfied. I also looked at bargain brands but ended up with the top of the line Cam superline after really looking at the quality factor. Cam has way more features and convinces but your gonna pay. Look at their webpage, aluminum ramps, built in charger ports, under bed tool storage, galvanized trailers, wireless key fobs etc.

I love the size except for driving down narrow streets and backing up. I did not want a 5th wheel because I use the bed of my truck for toolboxes and such. I felt the extra room would give me room to walk around a machine and chain it down properly. Also the extra internal room allows me to not have boards on the top so I can easily dump over the sides with a mini skid steer ( I own a bobcat mt-52). I never really got the super tall sides unless you were hauling brush.

The good things about going big:
-extra capacity
-extra length allows you to balance equipment over trailer wheels better and take weight off tow vehicle (very important)
-ability to load excavators in backwards and swing them around without hitting counterweight
-ability to haul mulch in front and soil in rear with a separator
-ability to get in tractor loader backhoes without getting a ticket
-you can load debris while having soils in the rear without mixing.

The bad things about going big:
-extra capacity entices you to majorly overload
-backing, parking, etc
-fuel/mileage
-cost

NOTE: I will tell you that getting a skid steer in a dump trailer is scary to the say the least though. The angle of the ramps when you drop those wheels off the back will make you shart your pants. For this reason I usually just have skids delivered, or I rent the trailer at the rental yard with the skid. It does work great for excavators and mini skids though!
So how does that 5.4 handle that he weight?

www.SoCalPonds.com
Old 10-29-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I think I'm gonna pick up a 7x12 Sure Trac tomorrow. $7000, might be able to get it a bit lower but you pay for the best. I've heard good things about this brand and have been seeing them everywhere so we'll see.

Steiner- I love your setup with the Cam and the Bobcat. Hopefully soon I'll be adding a piece of equipment to haul around in the dump trailer. I've heard from a lot of people that loading/hauling the skid steer can be a little scarey!

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'll post some pics and let ya know how things go with the 7x12! Hope some of you other guys are finding this thread helpful.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I use to work for a concrete company and we had the 7x14 with removable ramps and used that yo haul the skid all the time had no problems loading and unloading it. To say the least the first coupld times are nerv racking but once you have don't it a couple times its no big deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I baby it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2h20 View Post
So how does that 5.4 handle that he weight?
It does well, but I do baby it. It won't win races but I don't overload it either.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a 7x12 bumperpull dump. Used it a few times then sold it. Found an awesome deal on my current dump trailer. It's an 8' x 18' duall tandem gooseneck. Love the trailer, comes in handy, makes an awesome dumpster when it's just sitting at my shop.
But it's too big for 70% of what i do.
It's forsale right now so i can buy an 8yd single axle dump truck. And a pintle trailer to pull with the dump.

It will elimante having to bring 2x trucks/trailers to jobs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
dump trailer