Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2013, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Business cards for the crew leader?

I want to get business cards for my crew leader, do any of you do this?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand why you would do this. Is your crew leader authorized to bid extras for existing customers and new work for neighbors and others? If not I would think you would want to be the point of contact for everything. I've never been in your situation, but I think I'd give the crew leader MY business cards to hand out.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I give all estimates at this point but it helps if your crew leader has the initial contact with a lead. We use generic business cards with no names on them, and the person that passes it out can jot their first name on the back so we know where the lead came from and who they talked to, you know? If they pass out cards that leads to work while they are "off duty", then they get commission. Make sense?

Jason
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Makes sense to me. My concern would be giving a crew leader the opportunity to moonlight or to do extras and pocket the money. I've heard several stories about crews doing exactly that, with the owner's equipment and even while on the clock.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

each of our crew leaders has their own card, with pic. depends on your business model. each of our leaders bids their own work etc, and is representative of the company
Old 01-06-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple brothers and they are not partners, but I think it helps when the customer can contact them when they are in charge of what they are doing.

more specifically, one brother does all billing. He can hand a biz card and no one has to call me regarding how much they owe, what dates were serviced. It helps me streamline.

The other brother does strictly mowing and manages all of one cities snow clearing activities. It has helped when customers want to know what time service will happen . I don't get called by people asking when someone else is going to do something. again it streamlines.

For the employees, it makes them feel important. It is a way to give a non-monetary raise.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see what your concern is, Darryl. Depends on your employees I guess. You have to be able to trust them or honestly they shouldn't be working for you. My guys are so busy with the schedule, I'm not sure how they would have time to do any work on the side - unless they went back on their days off. But if they are planning on doing that, then they would probably just give their personal number out anyways - I'm not sure a business card is going to stop or encourage that problem. If someone is willing to risk a good full time job with you for a small side job, they aren't really thinking. lol

Jason
Old 01-06-2013, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I am the only one that has buisness cards. I do all of the estimates, billing, phone calls etc! For me it's better to have only one person in charge if that. Especially when it comes to booking and scheduling all of the work! I don't like the idea of too many cooks in the kitchen!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What if someone comes up to the crew asking for a card? Nothing wrong with your way, just thinking you might miss out on some leads. I have got a bunch of new clients by my guys talking and just passing out cards when people are interested and ask. Sometimes while they are working and sometimes when they are off work. If your people might "stab you in the back" you got the wrong guys. =D

Jason
Old 01-06-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have to worry about the moonlighting issue! I was going to have the company (my) phone number on the card with his name,title I do all the billing, proposals initial appointments and such. but just wanted to do it as a feel good measure more than anything, and a way to get more cards out there, he's pretty good about helping promote the company, he understands that the more we grow the more HE grows.