Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-08-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Honda GXV140

I'm working on an old Honda mower and I can't remove the blade brake clutch that is bolted to the crank. Is it a normal right hand thread 14mm bolt? What is the proper way of removing the bolt?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewadin View Post
I'm working on an old Honda mower and I can't remove the blade brake clutch that is bolted to the crank. Is it a normal right hand thread 14mm bolt? What is the proper way of removing the bolt?
What exact model Honda are you working on? There's a data plate on the back edge of the mower deck with a serial number, it's in the form of MXXX-1234567. I can look up Honda service details if you'll get me those numbers.

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Old HR215 FB hydro walk behind

The deck has: MZAM-6030934 HXA .....&...HR215 KM. This mower was bought years ago, can you tell what year it is? The engine #'s: GJAB-6048091....GXV140-135cc. Me and my 2 brothers bought this for my Dad as a Fathers Day gift and has run great for many years but started to get hard to start and smoke a little. The front wheels/height adj mechanisms might need complete replacement also.....I was planning on opening it up and put in new rings and re-seat the valves and see if anything else needs to be replaced. Can you suggest what to look at and what you think I should replace while I have it open,(if I get it open)?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewadin View Post
The deck has: MZAM-6030934 HXA .....&...HR215 KM. This mower was bought years ago, can you tell what year it is? Can you suggest what to look at and what you think I should replace while I have it open,(if I get it open)?
That serial number is old, and not in the online database I have. I'd guess it was made in the early 90s, maybe late 80s or so, but that's just a guess.

Anyway, the Roto-Stop was made in two different designs on that model. I've included images from the shop manual and parts catalog to show you. If you have type "A", then you'll need a strap wrench to hold the flywheel when loosening the 10x25 mm bolt. It's a normal left-hand thread. Torque to 36-43 lb.-ft. when reinstalling.

A compression and leak-down test would help you zero in on what might need replacement in the engine. Specific measurements of some internal parts might be needed to to see if they are past their service limit.

I'd strongly suggest you get a full paper shop manual; it will be priceless in helping you with overhauling the engine. Honda sells them on eBay with free shipping and free updates for three years; here's a link:

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Attached Images