Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

How much to charge for planting 10 3gal. azaleas

Hey guys I'm Logan. I just graduated High School last year and have been doing landscaping since sophomore year on the side of school and working at a nursery. I have been a lot busier this past year than ever.

I have had an on going job and the customer bought 10 3 gallon azaleas that I planted after I was done with the first project. I had already brought in top soil and cow manure in the beds and tilled them. So the dirt was fairly easy to break through. Took maybe around an hour or a little more due to placing the plants, making sure they were even on both sides, and cleaning up.

I was thinking 5-10 per shrub? What do you all think
Old 03-05-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone help me out?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If the customer bought them you shouldn't warranty them. We have to warranty plants for 1yr in Alabama. Some people charge by tripling plant cost. That includes labor and material. That price is too low considering licensing, workers comp, ins., etc. ( overhead)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llandscaping View Post
if the customer bought them you shouldn't warranty them. We have to warranty plants for 1yr in alabama. Some people charge by tripling plant cost. That includes labor and material. That price is too low considering licensing, workers comp, ins., etc. ( overhead)
$90.00...........
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Is that really what this labor goes for? I had a figure of 60-75 in my head at the beginning. I thought 75 was pretty high myself, just because I was not sure what others would have charged. I just do this type of work myself so there is not much overhead.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There should be overhead. Did you walk to the job? If not you used fuel, and with a vehicle you have an expense, tires, oil, need I go on. Did you wear clothes to the job? If not you don't have an expense. Insurance, taxes and tools are all expenses. It is a $75.00 to a $100.00 job. If you do it cheap you are leaving money on the table and hurting the rest of us.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

That is true. I just did not think about it this way because I am in college and still live at home since i am only 18. Nobody wants to leave money on the table with how expensive it is to live these days.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the hardest things for me to learn in this business was to charge correctly. Once I started I began to really like this business.