Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

more dot cdl questions

I ve read all the posts Thanks for all the good info. Question: if i pull a empty trailer with a gvwr over 10,000# i need a cdl? I am assuming that regardless of my weight if the trailer is rated over 10 k i need a cdl? Also if my combined "ratings" are over 10k i need what? Dot numbers, log book extinguishers medical card? Lol. My rig has 11,300 gvwr, so id like a 14 k trailer= 25,300 < 26,000 nice but im thinking i need a 9900# trailer to avoid a cdl. Is this correct? Forgive me for my ignorance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I highly recommend that you disregard everything that anyone (including myself) has to say here and investigate it yourself with your local DMV/DOT. In my state, there are different rules if you are engaged in intrastate or interstate commerce. It is my undertanding that I am not subject to the CGVWR of 10.001K unless I cross state lines, but instead subject to them if I'm 18,001 pounds combined, so with my 3K gross trailer I'm not. But yes, generally it's the rating of the rig that triggers things, not whether you are actually over it at the time.

This has come up time and time again here and there is little concensus and a lot of misinformation. It's really best to check how things are in your state. There are also some rigs that automatically trigger the regulations, regardless of weight rating. There are also some exemptions. The key to it all...the applicablility...lies in the defintions and how they are interpreted and enforced.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Problem is I live in the corner of four states. I know i should just get a cdl but it seems like such hassle. Figure i can get by w a 9900# trailer, but two pallets of brick and the weight of the trailer is pushing 10 000# lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well...you may not need a CDL, just to comply with some of the requirements, such as DOT numbers, safety equipment and medical card, etc.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't worry, you're not the only one who posts blank smartphone messages, lol.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Thx for the vote of confidence lol. It sucks they stick it to the actual hard working producing contractors. At least have a universal standard thats purely based on safety and not on confusion and revenue generation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I live in NC but the rules are mostly the same everywhere. The licenseing you need is based on GVWR. If your trailer is over 10k+1 you need a CDL. But keep in mind(at least here in NC)you have to buy enough weight rating when you buy your license plates as well to haul a given amount of weight.
I have my F-350 licensed for 24k because I pull a gooseneck or a dump trailer or a tilt deck,all 7 ton. I have to account for the weight of the truck,trailer and the load and not go over my limit.
On my F-750 I'm licensed for 45k so I can haul 8 tons,plus my trailer(10 ton) and a machine.
I have a class A CDL
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. Im going with 9900gvwr dump trailer along w my f350 dually for now.avoiding a cdl.since my trucks gvwr is 11300# i figure ill need dot #/ dot safety stuff n log. Can i keep the equiptment in my personal name and register and use it commercially w business name on it? ?
Posted via Mobile Device