Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
You don't have any pics of the hardscapes you have done? Even if what you say is true and you do all the designing, installing, etc yourself and the business is just in your Dad's name, how many people are going to take your seriously and trust you with anymore than $250 of work? Like Kajun, I think you will have much more feedback with smaller jobs like mowing.
I haven't done anything major I'm trying to push maitence but I'm not jut goin to leave it blank and just have maitence on it I'm going to post the other stuff I do
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its like my dad and I. We do mowing plus a few other odds and ends. We enjoy mowing and we really work together as a team. So thats what we do...mowing. We have done pretty well. It will be 5 years in March since we started doing it. I have loved every minute of it. Dont take what Krayz said to heart. He's trying to help you out like all the rest of us. He knows what hes talking about look where hes at in his career. I wish you all the best.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Umm well I think you should use your own work. You wouldn't want the customer think expect something spectacular and then be disappointed. That could really affect your buisness. Maybe take the pictures on the right off and put more simple pictures. But other than that it's good

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Alright man this is how i would approach it. I am 14 years as well but you cant push anything to past. I have been doing this for 2 years but last year was my first real big year. I currently has about 18 to 20 clients. My weekend and friday are packed during school. I work roughly 5 to 6 days a week in the summer. Reason why I am learning is because I help out other guys that are in there 20's that know this business and can show me the ropes. Your first legit year will be hard and frustrating. My business is work of mouth yard signs and advertising about 2 months out of the year thats it. Do good work at good prices people will love you. Build a solid customer basis and always be honest. Also i would not put other peoples pictures of there work on a postcard like that. You dont own it. Start off easy with zero expenses and go with craigslist.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrock lawn and land View Post
I haven't done anything major I'm trying to push maitence but I'm not jut goin to leave it blank and just have maitence on it I'm going to post the other stuff I do
Posted via Mobile Device
I understand where you are coming from and trying to provide positive help. Just last week you started a thread asking how to get started in hardscaping and now you are trying to advertise being a professional hardscaper. As a customer, I would not hire you for being dishonest.

There are so many guys in the business that get on a property doing something simple like mowing and next thing you know they are they are suddenly experts at everything ( install your deck, hardscape, lights, hang ceiling fans) b/c they have a truck and ladder. Anything they can do to make money even though they have little to no experience doing so.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
I understand where you are coming from and trying to provide positive help. Just last week you started a thread asking how to get started in hardscaping and now you are trying to advertise being a professional hardscaper. As a customer, I would not hire you for being dishonest.

There are so many guys in the business that get on a property doing something simple like mowing and next thing you know they are they are suddenly experts at everything ( install your deck, hardscape, lights, hang ceiling fans) b/c they have a truck and ladder. Anything they can do to make money even though they have little to no experience doing so.
Yea I did I've done SMALL hardscaping stuff I made a thread asking for advice and if theirs any courses or that type of stuff just to make all you guys happy ill take off hardscaping and walk down my street tommrow and do free work to get pictures
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2013, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Woah now! You put YOUR example of a EDDM on a public forum don't get mad others criticize it and offer suggestions

Enough Said...
Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not mad haha it's fine I already changed the postcard around but I know If i was over 20 no one would have a problem with it the post card ill post the new one tommrow when I'm at my computer
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2013, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure age has a factor in it but if you had pictures of you doing hard scape that would shut everybody up. You know the saying... "Pictures or it didn't happen"

Enough Said...
Old 01-08-2013, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrock lawn and land View Post
I'm not mad haha it's fine I already changed the postcard around but I know If i was over 20 no one would have a problem with it the post card ill post the new one tommrow when I'm at my computer
Posted via Mobile Device
Wrong, people would still say you are wrong for being dishonest no matter what age you are. You want to be a reputable and respected business in the community and advertising for services you would botch is not how it should be done