Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrock lawn and land View Post
Ill change the pictures thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Didn't you already change them???
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I changed some I'm changing the whole thing up now but it'll still problay be the same layout
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Ill break it down a lil bit for you. Dont take this the wrong way. You need to stick to just mowing at 14. With the way you are designing that card it is portraying a company that your not. You have a pic of a hardscape walkway that im pretty sure you wouldnt be able to install like that or price properly. Ive been doing landscaping for 10+ years and mowing for 15+ yrs. i wouldnt try to sell a job, i couldnt do. So dont advertise work that is out of your league or comfort zone. No matter what at the end of the day you are still 14 and by law atent allowed to perform alot of work. Enjoy being a kid. Alot of us wish we would have.
Posted via Mobile Device
Excellent advice, stole the words from my mouth. I've been doing some kind of business or another since I was 10 years old. Some days I wish I would have slowed down and enjoyed being a kid. On the flipside its great expereince and you are most likely quite a bit more mature than most 14 year olds.
Mike
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here...

As far as the design of the card goes, the front does look pretty good. I will say, the top left picture does not fit in well with the others. The other three photos all contain pretty bright colors and that top left one looks very washed out compared to the others. I'm not sure if any of those pictures are yours or not but I would suggest you use your own pictures, it is just better advertising for you and shows your potential customers YOUR work.

From reading a little of this thread, it looks/sounds like you are trying to be more than what you are...as far as advertising services that may be out of your scope. I highly suggest that you try to excel at a couple things first, basic things, like mowing, pruning, spreading mulch, planting, etc. As time goes on and you have done well with those basic things, then move things like fertilizing, landscaping, hardscaping, lighting, etc. You are young and ambitious, which is very good, but don't try to overdo it. You have a very long career ahead of you (should you decide to continue in this industry after high school/college. Take your time to become truly great at what you do and not just okay at it. Have you ever heard the saying, "jack of all trades, master of none"? Like I said, get good at what you do now and as you grow/learn you can start to add more services to your list. Don't advertise services that you can't do yet, even if you plan on subbing them out. If the customer is interested in a service that you don't offer and they happen to ask you about it, then feel free to sub it out, but don't advertise something that you can't do yet.

I'm not knocking you because of your age or anything, but if you don't have experience in a service, don't be offering it. Things take time and add services slowly as you gain experience with them. Nobody is going to hire you to build them a patio if you have never done one before. There are classes out there at various community colleges, conferences, expos, etc to gain a basic knowledge of how to do these things. Once you have the basic knowledge, start small then move to bigger things over time.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I can do hardscapes, and i can do them well. However, I am not comfortable enough in my ability to do them commercially and I would feel like a total ahole putting a price on them for someone else. Therefore, I WILL NOT advertise them in my services. Its not worth my reputation or pings on my commercial insurance if something goes wrong at this point. I have recently begun making it a point to photograph any and all work done to clients properties with time and date stamps as a back up. In this economy it is unfortunate but people will try and burn you out of a 45-50 dollar grass cut by saying you were never there. A picture is worth a thousand words when it comes to collecting what is owed to you. Plus, it is a way to build your portfolio so you arent hunting for free share images. I also have printed up a very small binder I bring along to new commercial/residential customers so they can see MY work while I work up an estimate for them. This really does help. I have one for commercial customers and one for residential. You would be shocked at how many commercial property jobs I have bid that I end up with a residential off of just because of the portfolio. My advice would be keep it small at the beginning, and expand as needed. You can too quickly get in over your head service wise and bite off more than you can chew. Listen to Krayz. His adivce you cannot have a dollar sign put on it. It is in my opinion rock solid. Good luck this season.

Last edited by srlawn; 01-08-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: apparantly i forgot how to spell overnight
Old 01-08-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srlawn View Post
I can do hardscapes, and i can do them well. However, I am not comfortable enough in my ability to do them commercially and I would feel like a total ahole putting a price on them for someone else. Therefore, I WILL NOT advertise them in my services. Its not worth my reputation or pings on my commercial insurance if something goes wrong at this point. I have recently begun making it a point to photograph any and all work done to clients properties with time and date stamps as a back up. In this economy it is unfortunate but people will try and burn you out of a 45-50 dollar grass cut by saying you were never there. A picture is worth a thousand words when it comes to collecting what is owed to you. Plus, it is a way to build your portfolio so you arent hunting for free share images. I also have printed up a very small binder I bring along to new commercial/residential customers so they can see MY work while I work up an estimate for them. This really does help. I have one for commercial customers and one for residential. You would be shocked at how many commercial property jobs I have bid that I end up with a residential off of just because of the portfolio. My advice would be keep it small at the beginning, and expand as needed. You can too quickly get in over your head service wise and bite off more than you can chew. Listen to Krayz. His adivce you cannot have a dollar sign put on it. It is in my opinion rock solid. Good luck this season.
Thanks for the advice srlawns and the guy above him, I'm gonna take hardscaping off the flier and see if I can dig up any older pictures that would sorta go with the flier of my own mowing and light landscaping is what im gonna try and focus on this year and Mabey work with a fee of my friends who own bigger landscaping company's and do the hardscaping and that type of bigger stuff have a good season too
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Member

be careful with the subcontracting because your name is still attached heavily to the job. If something happens the client will come at you first and you need to handle the stress of dealing with the contractor that you have doing the install.