Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

cpll,
St. Augustine requires different apllications rates. Also there are some ferts and even squirts that you cannot use on it as well. I will give my father a call in Florida and see who or what he uses. Fesuce can look very good if people are willing to pay for it. Our strains of Fescue here take about 3 full years to become adult enough to sustain themselves.
I can try to get other info from Howard Johnsons commercial line you.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpropm View Post
Alright guys, I want to hear some of the experienced business owners weigh in on this subject. Of course all of us are in search for those customers who want their landscape in showcase condition year round and are willing to pay for it. What is your definition of full service? Is it mowing, bed maint, shrub trimming/pruning, fert & squirt, fall clean up etc..... Are you guys estimating the total annual cost for these services and billing them over 12 months? Lets say for example after quoting services the annual cost to the client would be $4500, $4500/ 12 months= $375 monthly. Would this be an option or are there different methods for billing? How are you billing? I have been sending emails and hard copies by snail mail.
Here in South Carolina we generally get about 8 - 8.5 months mowing but there are a few other things to keep some what busy. Im looking for a way to create 12 months of income with customers on an annual contract/ service agreement. I am aware that every customer will not want 12 months of service and all will not want to sign a service agreement. Would like to hear your thoughts, opinions, and systems that you plan to implement or currently have in place with your company..................
Posted via Mobile Device
MY idea of full service and what I offer as full service is:

weekly mowings (bagging as NEEDED), shrub pruning usually twice a season (or as needed), mulch once a season, spring clean ups and fall clean ups.

if I were licensed I would include fert in that full service.

I invoice at the end of the month for the work that was actually performed. no contracts, service agreement or any papers to sign except the check you send.

I use my full service option as a way for clients to basically forget about there lawn. if I show up one week and the grass is a little longer than normal I can just choose to bag it and charge accordingly. as the shrubs need pruned I just do it. services in general are done automatically as I see they are needed.

my basic clients are just mowing services and anything else is up to them to either ask for or give me permission to do.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

It will also be costly to the customer in spring when it comes time to spray out the winter rye. There is really no one grass that works better in our area. Like cpllawncare said we are in that transition zone. All going to depend on the site and soil. As for the billing issue it wouldnt be such a probelm to get customers to pay year round if it werent for the fly by nights coming in every year dropping prices.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundeffects View Post
It will also be costly to the customer in spring when it comes time to spray out the winter rye. There is really no one grass that works better in our area. Like cpllawncare said we are in that transition zone. All going to depend on the site and soil. As for the billing issue it wouldnt be such a probelm to get customers to pay year round if it werent for the fly by nights coming in every year dropping prices.
Yea I know we are in a transition zone, for some reason I thought at a certain temperature would make the rye die back??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
MY idea of full service and what I offer as full service is:

weekly mowings (bagging as NEEDED), shrub pruning usually twice a season (or as needed), mulch once a season, spring clean ups and fall clean ups.

if I were licensed I would include fert in that full service.

I invoice at the end of the month for the work that was actually performed. no contracts, service agreement or any papers to sign except the check you send.

I use my full service option as a way for clients to basically forget about there lawn. if I show up one week and the grass is a little longer than normal I can just choose to bag it and charge accordingly. as the shrubs need pruned I just do it. services in general are done automatically as I see they are needed.

my basic clients are just mowing services and anything else is up to them to either ask for or give me permission to do.
That's sounds like a good package plan. Do you plan on getting licensed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundeffects View Post
Yea dropping prices for a season then disappearing at the end of the season.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpropm View Post
That's sounds like a good package plan. Do you plan on getting licensed
Posted via Mobile Device
currently no.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I changed things up a little this year. I offer fescue a 12 month plan that states 50 average cuts

My warm season looks like this....
8 month growing season(march-oct)
12 month growing and leaf season(march -dec)
12 month full year avg 48 cuts

With in each plan I had 2 levels. Mow blow go and mow with bed maintenance

I am hoping to switch all my Eow to weekly cuts. But I think I will still have a majority of "pay as you go" customers who I bill monthly as well as eow cuts.

I wish I could make my plans and pricing so attractive that people would jump all over it.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post

I wish I could make my plans and pricing so attractive that people would jump all over it.
We all wish we could do that. A friend of mine told me you can't get em all. If you do something is wrong with your prices. I told him BS I want it all!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I changed things up a little this year. I offer fescue a 12 month plan that states 50 average cuts

My warm season looks like this....
8 month growing season(march-oct)
12 month growing and leaf season(march -dec)
12 month full year avg 48 cuts

With in each plan I had 2 levels. Mow blow go and mow with bed maintenance

I am hoping to switch all my Eow to weekly cuts. But I think I will still have a majority of "pay as you go" customers who I bill monthly as well as eow cuts.

Having 2 different levels in each plan, how has that worked out for you? Do you offer this as an option up front, or if the customer seems like they aren't the full service type do you then give them options?
Posted via Mobile Device