Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Starting part time business

I will be starting my own company this year part time as I work full time for another company as a manager (I have permission and will not be competing). I have about 8 years of experience and BS in horticulture from Virginia Tech.

I will be working on my time off doing maintenance and free lance landscape design. On to what I want advice on.

I plan on looking at a Exmark Metro 48" 2007 tomorrow. I am very familiar with larger hydro exmarks from my time at a national landscape company. Just wanted opinions on starting with this mower as a primary. I will be targeting smaller 1/4 to maybe acre lots. The guy is offering it to me for 1200 and he had been using it as a backup mower to his much larger zero turns. That comes with a vekie.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Anybody experienced with this set up? He says this model has no hour meter but says it runs like new. He also said I am more then welcome to take it for a test drive. He estimates it has around 100 hours
Old 01-01-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

A lot of 48 or 36 mowers do not have hour meters I would assume it has more hours but I have bought a mower that was used as a backup before and its s great mower. Just make sure to check all the hydro components I wish I could offer you advice on what to look at but I use all belt drive walk behinds. But the sulky paired with a 48 inch walk behind is a great combination.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Please do give advise about what to look for as it is belt drive. That is good point I need advice on. I am not so knowledgable about belt drive mower like this. My experience is with hydro mower. I hear belt drive is easier to work on and cheaper to repair... All this true?
Old 01-01-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes make belts are solid and not fraying. Engage and disengage blades when engine off to visually see that belt tensions properly. Make sure spindles do not have play by trying to wiggle them. Then drive it and cut alittle grass make sure everything cuts properly and put it in every gear to make sure transmission works. It should feel solid. Also if it has reverse it does not work like a hydro all it does is assist you and you have to pull on it. Then check engine which should be simiar to hydros you have used before. Good luck don't be afraid to walk away from mowet if something does not seem right and if you are unsure you may want to toss your dealer 20 bucks and have them look at it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes i personally prefer working on them caysr its simplier and ya the parts are also cheaper
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Any opinions on the deal? 1200, maybe I could talk him down more. That sound reasonable?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

My main mower is also a 48 metro and i love it. Mine is older than yours but its seems fair. I would offer him 800 and then if he takes it great, but you will probably meet in middle for 1000 which would also be a decent price. But worst case scenario 1200 is fair.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2013, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Another question... I Will be towing with my double cab 2008 Tacoma. I want a enclosed trailer for storage and advertising purposes. I was wondering if going from a 6'x10 to 6'x12 will be much harder on the truck towing. I won't need the extra 2' now but planning head when next year add a second walk behind or zero. Also will I need the extra two feet down the road for two mowers?
B.S. Horticulture (Virginia Tech)

Setup:
1995 F-450 Dump 7.3 Diesel
Horton Hauler 12' X 6' Enclosed Trailer
2006 Exmark Lazer Z 52"
2008 Exmark 48" WB
2013 Stihl String trimmer
2013 Stihl BR600 Blower
2013 Stihl Hedge trimmer
Hand tools, sprayers, and etc.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes I am buying a open trailer in about a week. Im getting a 5x14 cause dealer has it on clearance but otherwise i was going to get 6x12. And metro is about 5 ft long so 2 would nake it 10ft i never tried but it would be super close on 6x10.i would go with 6x12. I doubt it but just check trailer gross vehicle weight and the trucks towing capacity.
Posted via Mobile Device