Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2014, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

bought 2 new Gravely's yesterday.

Traded 2011 Toro Grandstand for a 2013 demo Postance 48" that had 1.2 hours for $2300 after trade in. Also traded in 2003 Grasshopper 725 for 2014 Proturn 260 with 27hp Kawasaki. Just under $5,000 after fleet pricing and trade in. I feel pretty good getting 2 new mowers for $7300 plus tax. The Proturn will be avail. In a week or two. I brought home prostance last night and was able to mow a little bit with it. Definetly felt faster than my grandstand, cut seemed great but grass is just starting to green up. Will have to get used to operator presence shutting off machine instead of just the blades. It wont take long to get used to setting parking brake. I am going to like the foot. Pedal deck for floating deck. I really liked my Grandstand and hoping to like Prostance even more. I will need To get ocdc as the chute is either down or mounted in stowed position. I was used to flipping chute down real quick and back where I needed to control dispersal. Ocdc will end up working out better so no big deal. Thanks again to Gmlc, ProstreetCamaro and everyone who post there experiences here. We all have to decide what works best for us but the more opinions on a subject the better. :
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2014, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Awesome machines at a great deal!!! Cant wait to see how you like them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love my grandstand, but am very interested in the pro stance as well. If only my local gravely dealer didn't suck......

And still not rich

Old 04-02-2014, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Great choice of gravleys, but have to ask… why did you trade in the old machines? you had two great machines in the first place?
Old 04-02-2014, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Great choice of gravleys, but have to ask… why did you trade in the old machines? you had two great machines in the first place?
As far as the Grasshopper its 11 years old and even though it has a ton of life left even the oddball repairs start to add up and downtime is a pain. Also since its like nine feet long and has bar tread tires. Which in some cases is great but it does limit the lawns it is appropriate for. I have ran frountmount grasshoppers since 1997 I will miss its frontmount on my property and a couple others. If I decide I can't live without I could find another for roughly what I got on trade. The grandstand was great but there are 4 yards and and apartment complex that going from a 52 inch deck to a 48 will elimate some push mowing and trimming. The prostance is a little narrower frame so with the 48" there is still some trim side. I gain 1 MPH in speed so the loss of 4 inches is no big deal. Any area where the 48" is too small that is where the 260 comes in to play. Also for the difference in price It cost me around $900 per year machine cost to run grandstand for 3 years.
Not including scheduled maintenence and blades. So for not much more money I have a new machine with new warranty. It was not any easy decision to get rid of either mower but that's my thought process that went into it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2014, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdan65 View Post
As far as the Grasshopper its 11 years old and even though it has a ton of life left even the oddball repairs start to add up and downtime is a pain. Also since its like nine feet long and has bar tread tires. Which in some cases is great but it does limit the lawns it is appropriate for. I have ran frountmount grasshoppers since 1997 I will miss its frontmount on my property and a couple others. If I decide I can't live without I could find another for roughly what I got on trade. The grandstand was great but there are 4 yards and and apartment complex that going from a 52 inch deck to a 48 will elimate some push mowing and trimming. The prostance is a little narrower frame so with the 48" there is still some trim side. I gain 1 MPH in speed so the loss of 4 inches is no big deal. Any area where the 48" is too small that is where the 260 comes in to play. Also for the difference in price It cost me around $900 per year machine cost to run grandstand for 3 years.
Not including scheduled maintenence and blades. So for not much more money I have a new machine with new warranty. It was not any easy decision to get rid of either mower but that's my thought process that went into it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would have replaced the grandstand and gotten pro stance… that trade makes sense

Grasshopper I would have kept. It can mow anything the 260 can and the out front trim ability and flotation can't be beat.
Plus they have the best attachments and collection system bar none.

if the 'hopper went down you'd still have the pro stance to be running.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=TPendagast;5002837]I would have replaced the grandstand and gotten pro stance… that trade makes sense

Grasshopper I would have kept. It can mow anything the 260 can and the out front trim ability and flotation can't be beat.

I agree with everything you said about the Grasshopper. Although I found myself more than once last year turning a 4+ hour Mowing jobs on 10 acre rough heavily wooded lots into 6/7 hour jobs using slower smaller grandstand not designed for the job when Grasshopper was down. So I am replacing with new more reliable machine. I have no doubts I will miss it some. If i decide the 20 percent of jobs it was great at aren't being done effectively I can always buy onother old grasshopper to replace it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=kcdan65;5002866]
Quote:
I would have replaced the grandstand and gotten pro stance… that trade makes sense

I agree with everything you said about the Grasshopper. Although I found myself more than once last year turning a 4+ hour Mowing jobs on 10 acre rough heavily wooded lots into 6/7 hour jobs using slower smaller grandstand not designed for the job when Grasshopper was down. So I am replacing with new more reliable machine. I have no doubts I will miss it some. If i decide the 20 percent of jobs it was great at aren't being done effectively I can always buy onother old grasshopper to replace it.
Posted via Mobile Device
somebody else's old grasshopper is always worse than your old grasshopper!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=TPendagast;5002880]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdan65 View Post

somebody else's old grasshopper is always worse than your old grasshopper!
That's probably true. Hey I could have used you during trade in negotiations I could have left with new Mower and money in my pocket.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2014, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=kcdan65;5002897]
Quote:

That's probably true. Hey I could have used you during trade in negotiations I could have left with new Mower and money in my pocket.
Posted via Mobile Device
nah, I would have talked you into a new 725 and a 120 mid mount