Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much do you charge for cutting?

So I've been breaking down my prices today and I'm curious to know what guys are charging for 10k sq ft of grass.. not 10k sq ft lot size, but the actual area being cut. Just your typical mow, trim and blow. And assuming the land is flat without relatively any hills or major obstacles.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where do you live? 10k sq ft would be about a $30 job for me personally in North Delaware. That is the going rate around here, most of the elderly clients ask for an extra discount so I will cut there's for $20-$25 if they can refer one of their neighbors. They always are able to get at least one neighbor, both streets that I did that deal on I will now have a combined 7 lawns all in the same size range with one corner lot, apprx. 15k sq ft.

In Central or Southern Delaware they all have large lots and most buy their own zero turn mowers. It all depends on where you live.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
JS46 22" walk-behind (wouldn't recommend)
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Husqvarna 130BT blower
Old 01-10-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's a pretty small area, but I don't drop the gate for less than $35.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

For me, it is more about time than size. Time includes travel time, ease of loading/unloading, trimming, everything.

Ford
Exmark-Gravely
Stihl-Redmax
Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Never mind, I underestimated 10k sq ft, I used "measure it" and realized that my 10k is closer to 5-6k.

-Michael

http://servicevines.com/jobs/measureit

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
JS46 22" walk-behind (wouldn't recommend)
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Husqvarna 130BT blower
LawnSite Senior Member

agree with hackitdown. Alot is considered when giving a price. I never measured a property, because they're all different.
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCareDelaware View Post
Where do you live? 10k sq ft would be about a $30 job for me personally in North Delaware. That is the going rate around here, most of the elderly clients ask for an extra discount so I will cut there's for $20-$25 if they can refer one of their neighbors. They always are able to get at least one neighbor, both streets that I did that deal on I will now have a combined 7 lawns all in the same size range with one corner lot, apprx. 15k sq ft.

In Central or Southern Delaware they all have large lots and most buy their own zero turn mowers. It all depends on where you live.

-Michael
I'm in central jersey. Most houses that are 10k sq ft only have roughly 5k of grass though. Are you talking entire lot size? For example a 10k sq ft lot would take me about 25 min to cut by myself but I'm not really cutting 10k sf ft in grass.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackitdown View Post
For me, it is more about time than size. Time includes travel time, ease of loading/unloading, trimming, everything.
no i understand that but what I'm realizing now after looking at a lot of my customers on zillow is that my customers who are twice the size are only paying $40-45 a cut. the norm in my area for small houses are $30-35 for a small 10k lot. that's usually the minimum. but if i go and give an estimate to somebody with a 20k lot the most i'll usually get is $45. i'm starting to wonder if people just have some kind of cut off as to how much they want to pay. i mean why cut one lawn for $40 that takes an hour when i can cut another one for $30 that takes me a half hour. basically i'm just trying to see if other guys have this problem out there. if it's taking double the amount of time one would figure that they should be getting double the price. however, it just doesn't seem to work out this way...
Old 01-10-2013, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=pseudosun;4639333]agree with hackitdown. Alot is considered when giving a price. I never measured a property, because they're all different.[/QUOT

Me either.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=jsslawncare;4639378]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
agree with hackitdown. Alot is considered when giving a price. I never measured a property, because they're all different.[/QUOT

Me either.
So then how do you give your estimates when they ask "how much do you charge?" do you cut it first, and then tell them? Cause that would really be the only way one could estimate based on time. Ideally, that would be the best way but people want a price up front. Wouldn't you agree?
Posted via Mobile Device