LawnSite Fanatic

A little too neon for me. I prefer darker greens
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

It is very bright.....
Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You won't find a single, legitimate designer who tells you that bottom font works with the top. Same goes for the rounded ends of the line.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice and simple
Old 10-21-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

its not that bright when i pull it up on my computer but it does look really bright in this pic
Old 10-21-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like it. Simple and to the point.

The bright green is an attention getter. If the NLM is gonna be bright green you might as well go all the way and make Nick's Lawn Maintenenace a bright color also.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 10-21-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with what has already been said...In my opinion, the color alone doesn't present a professional image and the font choices don't go well together. I hope you did not pay someone to design that for you...If you did, you should ask for a refund.

Change the fonts. Use a darker green. And consider changing the line between the initials and the name to a cross section of grass with a healthy root system.

N.L.M.
(insert grass here)
Nick's Lawn Maintenance

Another thing to consider with logos is to think about how the logo will appear throughout your marketing/branding strategy. Long logos with small lettering such as yours will create issues when trying to use your logo on shirts and still have it look good. Large/long names/logos tend to look awkward when used on the front of shirts (over the heart). Either the logo will take up too much space from left to right so the words are legible or not enough space from left to right and the words are hardly legible. Also, the logo you have will look ok on the side of a vehicle or anywhere else where the space being filled is large enough but as you reduce the size of your logo to fit the more confined spaces on other marketing materials such as business cards, flyers and door hangers you will probably find that the lettering for "Nick's Lawn Maintenance" may get hard to read. You will then have to decide if you want to allocate more space to your logo so that it is easier to read/recognize, or use that space for other things like listing services or showing off more of the photo you are using on the front of your door hanger.

Another thing to keep in mind is that your logo does not have to have your company's name in it. In fact, many logos are just that...a logo...a symbol that has become synonymous with the name of the company...like the Nike swoosh or the apple on the Apple products.

If you are going to use the company name as part of the logo, consider stacking the three words...

Nick's
Lawn
Maintenance

or

Nick's Lawn
Maintenance

or

Nick's
Lawn Maintenance

Adjust the font/size and perhaps arc the words. Then "build" the logo around that. Perhaps a seal of some sort with "Nick's" arced across the top (larger font) and "Lawn Maintenance" arced across the bottom in a slightly smaller font (perhaps stack these two words curving upwards).

Anyway, those are just my thoughts and suggestions. Good luck.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

is it really that bad ??
Old 10-21-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You asked for opinions...

You're on the right track, but you need to understand that various typefaces work in concert with each other, no different than various landscape elements or paint colors. Your top font (a Bauhaus style) is actually extremely iconic. It's known for the modernist, rounded, crisp look, for the art movement of which it's named. It's very difficult to match another rounded, sans serif font with it, especially the dreaded (really) Arial Rounded. Basically, you've taken an iconic, well-recognized font and matched it with disparate elements.

If you want to stay with that general design, I would...

1. I don't think the color will ultimately work in your favor - I'd go a couple shades darker. As is, from any distance, it will be a tough read, regardless of background color.

2. You really should make the horizontal line a straight, no rounded corners, line. This matches the clean design of Bauhaus.

3. The bottom font. If you want a sans serif font (serifs are those little wing tips found on fonts. SANS SERIF - SERIF ), you'll want something more complimentary, such as Century Gothic. To go with a serif font, you can try Century, or any other number of fonts.

4. To my eye, the grass looks like a forced, unnecessary addition. The "Lawn Maintenance" tells me what you do, and the grass is superfluous to the rest of the design. This one is entirely subjective, but so is design.