Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2012, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am about to scream

I got the snowblower out about a week ago and it was surging I just figured it was water in the gas, so i drained it, added fresh gas and ran some dry gas through it and let it be figuring it was all good. Well now that it has snowed, i brought it out today and its surging even worse, if I have it in drive it lurches and stops. I pulled the cover for the carb off and the level from the throttle to the air flow and governor is rocking back and forth in time with the lurches, what is causing this rocking and surging?! The carb has no adjustments just fixed jet. I am at my wits end with this danged thing

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkane97 View Post
I got the snowblower out about a week ago and it was surging I just figured it was water in the gas, so i drained it, added fresh gas and ran some dry gas through it and let it be figuring it was all good. Well now that it has snowed, i brought it out today and its surging even worse, if I have it in drive it lurches and stops. I pulled the cover for the carb off and the level from the throttle to the air flow and governor is rocking back and forth in time with the lurches, what is causing this rocking and surging?! The carb has no adjustments just fixed jet. I am at my wits end with this danged thing
Hey mine has been surging like that for 2 years now.. At part to low throttle it revs up and down, full throttle and while blowing snow it goes away and runs perfect. I took the carb off cleaned and blew it out, still the same thing. I just learned to live with it like that. Although mine does not die like yours i would start with cleaning your carb.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Honda engine on my slice seeder has the same issue. Was able to compensate by closing the choke a bit. As the engine warmed up the choke choke could be reopened. As others have posted, our carbs need to be cleaned.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No guarantee that it will fix the problem, but I would add some Star Tron fuel treatment before I start ripping things apart. Just make sure you get the one for gas engines because they also make it for diesel ones. Both my local marina and rental yard swear by this stuff for engines that have been sitting for a while and it worked to even out my leaf loader after it sat.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys, I missed out on 250 in clean ups this morning, but i am not shoveling 7 driveways on my own.

I have to have the choke full on or else it wont even surge or start aha, it is one of those crappy snowking motors by tecumseh, i am contemplating buying an aftermarket oregon adjustable carb instead of rebuilding this crappy one

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 12-27-2012, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkane97 View Post
Thanks guys, I missed out on 250 in clean ups this morning, but i am not shoveling 7 driveways on my own.

I have to have the choke full on or else it wont even surge or start aha, it is one of those crappy snowking motors by tecumseh, i am contemplating buying an aftermarket oregon adjustable carb instead of rebuilding this crappy one
Hey i got the same motor on mine, heck probably same snow blower, but if your good enough just shut your fuel off and take just the carb bowl off and pull the pin that holds your float and needle valve. Then turn your gas back on just for a second, i would almost bet you just got a big hunk on debris lodged in there .
Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Hey i got the same motor on mine, heck probably same snow blower, but if your good enough just shut your fuel off and take just the carb bowl off and pull the pin that holds your float and needle valve. Then turn your gas back on just for a second, i would almost bet you just got a big hunk on debris lodged in there .
I will most likely do a quick cleaning on the carb before i spend any money on it. From what I know, the surging is most likely caused by a lean mixture. And now that you said that it would make sense that there is something somewhere either clogging one of the circuits or a hole somewhere when it ran out of gas recently

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 12-27-2012, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pinch off the fuel line, remove the carb bowl nut and clean all orfices. The main jet and the idle jet are incorporated into the bowl nut. Many times this will correct the problem. If the carb bowl has a buildup of crap in, then that should be done as well.

Here's a link that may describe the operation for you:

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/..._series_11.asp
Old 12-27-2012, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Check all gaskets on the manifold and where carb assembles to the manifold, spray some carb cleaning around that area while it's running and see if the idle increases ,...if so you might have a leaky gasket causing the surge~
Old 12-27-2012, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do what Darryl G said, and if that does not work, just buy a new carb.

Also, on Youtube, there is a guy donyboy73 who has a lot of videos on the snowking engine. He might have one on the stalling.

Website
Like our Facebook Page!
Snapper CP218520
Snapper 21351PD new engine
LawnBoy 10227 wi/bagger
Kawasaki KRB650B
Stihl BG55
John Deere
Shindaiwa T242
Shindaiwa RS41
Husqvarna 445 saw
Stihl MS210C
Stihl KM90R wi/ trimmer/blower/edger
2014 Quality Steel and Aluminum 5x8 Utility Trailer.
Toro single stage snow thrower.

Click here for my work thread!

Last edited by kawasaki guy; 12-27-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: I forgot a word