Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

The Right Software for The Solo/Newbie?

As someone that wants to stay solo for sometime and is new to the industry. Not wanting to drop a load of money on more than what is necessary, but would like to make life simpler. Could someone experienced recommend a software product that is industry specific? Something that will help the newbie grow into a better professional.

Looking for something the client can pay bills and view billing history online and pay for services. Something I would have the ability to print records of expenses and income for an accountant, as I think the taxes side of the business I will leave to a professional. Bidding specific would be nice too.

Apologies for repeating what is probably a very common question here on LawnSite, there are just so many very long threads on the subject.

Thanks...

Also, is there an aspect I am not considering in my search? Something that an experienced lawn care professional, should just not do without, considering business software?

Last edited by MillerIn503; 01-09-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Didn't read right.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't use landscapebilling.com. I signed up for it after people said it was a great site. I signed up was really impressed entered all my information and customer contacts. Spent 4 hours doing it and two days later poof gone. Clean slate like I never was even there. So I decided ok a lil glitch. So I thought maybe because it was the free trial, so I payed for three months. And reentered my contcts and products I could remember. So I check it from my phone via internet and all the information from this first time is there. So I tried to email them since Saturday when I experienced all this and nothing no response nothing at all. No contact numbers, only email that there is no response too. So do research and be careful, and if you do use it I hope it works for you.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the heads up Kanda. Just got started researching GroundsKeeper software and am finding their tutorials very informative. GroundsKeepers link:
http://www.adkad.com/
Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm also new myself to the industry. Starting my 2nd year and was looking to get something along the line of lawn care software. I used quick-books but 1st its really expensive ( I know its a great program ) but i was looking for something more for routing ,invoicing. Maybe its just me but quick-books was confusing with everything they have. Maybe when I get bigger and I can use all the features it will be good. If you find anything post it up. Maybe Ill look into it also, Good Luck Kev
Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Kev, right now I am also looking at ZOHO tutorials on youtube at the moment. A very complex system I think, but seems can be simplified if one so chooses and the rates seem quite reasonable. ZOHO's link:
https://www.zoho.com/invoice/
Old 01-11-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Alright Kev, after many hours during each of several days, I have come up with my conclusions. Quickbooks 2013 http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...13%2Caps%2C244 in conjuction with QXpress http://www.qxpress.com/ is the way to go for the newbie. Emphasizing the importance of getting to know your software is extremely important and some homework is inevitable. Also be aware the unsuspecting upgrades that do cost arise, but as I have read(not confirmed), one can opt not to upgrade. Theory being, if it is not broke, don't fix it is my going about things.

Now, if you are to become one of the big dogs in the area. Check out Real Greens software capabilities. http://www.realgreen.com/index.html Holy S#!+, they are impressive.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Miller
Thanks a lot for the research. I'm going to look into the prgrams you researched. Thanks again

Tags
advice needed , new business , software programs , solo