Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

congrats on the trailer good luck with it... i am hoping to get one in the spring
Old 01-11-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

thanks darryl. i hope the gate works well. if not ill exchange it. it gets mounted up quite high and has 4 attatchment points, so should be able to dump with double the clearance of the normal gate. used it for the first time to day. getting the hang of driving a trailer. I am wondering what should i do when i park it? keep it hitched to the truck and put the jack down so that the pressure is not on my truck? Also, the brakes were locking up a bit. Once when i had the brake controller on 4.5V and tires were little muddy and road was wet. I turned it down and didnt hear them skidding anymore. second time i was driving with load and they were skidding. road was wet. i turned down brake controller seemed to help.
I am not sure if my controller is set to high or if its not good, but when i turn it on to anything over 5 the brakes come on real hard- not fast, but slowly get real hard, and when i take my foot of the break the brakes all come off at once and pop. its not smooth at all. im wondering if i should pay $50 more for a controller with a sensor. or if i just need to turn them down. This is with about 3k-4k LB in the trailer with 5v going to brakes.

good luck on the trailer jones68.
Thanks!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need to adjust the controller for the load you have and the surface conditions. It sounds like you have it up too high. If you're hauling with a load and have them turned up and then dump your load, they often will skid. Likewise if you're traveling on pavement and then go to dirt they'll skid. What I do is manually activate the trailer brakes to adjust them...there should be a button/lever for manual activation. Also when taking off from a stop, give them a second to release before hitting the gas. I usually only run my brakes in the 2.5 to 3.5 range. You just want them to assist the brakes on your truck, not replace them. Some controllers will also have an adjustment for how aggressively they come on, but it sounds like that's ok as they come on gradually for you. My adjustment for that is kind of hidden and the sort of thing you set once.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ok thanks darryl
Old 01-11-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

need a place to dump fill dirt in md!