Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The front mount grasshoppers are so expensive these days that unless you HAVE to have the attachments I wouldn't bother, just get a midmount. The front mounts so long they are hard to haul on a trailer if you haul multiple machines. Grasshoppers are nice machines though. Hard to compare them to walkers though, 2 different designs. A GHS walker will get you into tight areas with ease and the controls only take a little while to get used to. Yes, they are maintenance hogs. I have 3 of them now. You will be friends with your dealer's parts guys after you get about 1200 to 1500 hours because by then you will have replaced the blower, starter, hydros, belts, idlers, couple gear boxes, bearings, bushings, and on and on... And that's only if you are a stickler about maintenance! I've replaced all of that on my '08 MT and it's in the shop now getting it's 3rd hydro replacement and needs a new oscillator motor for the chute in the hopper, plus I think it's about due for a new blower again. I bought a new MD (diesel) last fall though. Just can't beat the cut and the ability to skate through 4' gates with a 48" mower. My grasshopper is a midmount 61" with about 1200 hours I think. Had an oil leak on the engine fixed this winter and have replaced the front wheel bearings a few times, rebuilt the blower, and replaced the hydro belt once, the mule drive belt a few times, and deck belt twice, catcher top a few times and all 3 bags once at least. Even if it was a 52" front mount I couldn't use it on as many lawns as I can get the Walkers on though. Plus i wouldn't be able to fit it and my Walker on the trailer...

Last edited by Jason Rose; 03-17-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Hell i talk about gravely and bobcat too, but i dont sell them.... i even recommend zipper as a front mount but dont sell them, anything i say is from years of knowpedge and research and because i enjoy talking mowers not to benefit me any personally...
Posted via Mobile Device
I appreciate your passion for the industry and willingness to help. But just remember some of the guys YOU think know nothing may just have more experience and knowledge than you think.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Grasshopper all the way. Much better performance and durability, plus the winter application.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have owned multiple units of both brands. Walker and Grasshopper both make great mowers. My mowing crews had one of each on their trailers.
both brands bag and mulch very well. The Grasshopper is faster. Both are very troublefree if maintained properly. The Grasshopper has less daily maintenance, due to fewer grease fittings, and fewer moving parts in general.
My rule of thumb for where we used these machines was: Under 3/4 - 1 acre property - use the Walker. Over 1 acre of mowing - use the Grasshopper.
My Walkers had over 2000 hours on them when I sold them, and, I know at least one of them is still in regular use. Don't know aboutt he others. Some of my Grasshoppers had over 3000 hours when I sold them, and I know they are still in service.
By the way, I got out of mowing and opened a dealership selling Grasshoppers. I would have taken on Walkers also, but someone else in the area had that line already.
I highly recommend both brands.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

As cut-throat as the lawn business is up here i need the width and the speed. I don't bid anything less than 1/3 of an acre. Let the Walker guys fight over that stuff. I'll take my acre plus estates with the hopper. I can turn an acre property, mowed/bagged, trimmed and blown in 40 minutes or less by myself with only 2 trips to the trailer to dump. Walker has their place on small smooth lawns but take too much time on the big lawns. They also CANNOT digest the amount of leaves a grasshopper can without clogging unless you creep along VERY slowly. With the electric deck lift, i can vac up piles that i rake away from fence lines and flower beds. Walker just pushes them around. Every mower has it's place.........
2009 Encore FZ48 Front Mount Side Discharge & bagger.
3 Ariens LM21 Commercial walk behinds.
Echo SRM28 trimmers.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info guys. Good to see some of the passion come out in here. I thought I was the only one who was a little to involved with his company !!!!! I think I will try and demo both machines, thanks again for all the info !!