Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2013, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by A23 View Post
Ok that's good to know, thank you. I've got some Atrazine around and will try Celsius as well. I would assume that 3way would be safe?
Atrazine does not stay around long enough to be useful as a preemergent in sandy soil. Never mind what a bad idea it is in a place that rains over an inch per day just about every day half the year.

I deal with lots of zoysia in a climate that is similar to, but not identical to southern Florida. My experience has been that zoysia does best if it is not starved, mowed low with a reel mower every 3-7 days and neither allowed to dry out nor drown. Many weed problems in a zoysia lawn are fostered and perpetuated by mowing too high combined with starvation.

Once that is addressed, Celsius is a good herbicide for many grassy and broadleaf weeds. Certainty is good for sedges. Three Way type products have not really impressed me. I am more impressed with metsulfuron as a broadleaf herbicide. 2,4-D ester or Speedzone Southern is something I use as an adjuvant for the above herbicides. As for preemergents, I have applied Gallery for persistent infestations by broadleafs and moderate rates of Dimension for grassy weeds emerging in the winter-spring months. The main preemergent in zoysia should be regular low mowing and maintenance of good fertility. In a sandy soil, a good practice to consider would be annual topdressings with finely screened organic matter until properly fertilized turf starts generating its own organic matter.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 01-11-2013, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If the turf is thin and needs to fill in I would avoid using pre's such as prodiamine or pendi as this will inhibit spreading.