Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rotating Service Areas - Large Scale Landscape Maintenance

Does anyone here with larger landscape maintenance sites rotate the service intervals to different sections of the site, for services such as pruning, edging, weeding, etc?

What I mean by this is, for services other than the regular weekly maint (grass & trash) does anyone (for example) prune all the shrubs in one predetermined section of the property, and then at the next interval (maybe 1-2 weeks later) prune all the shrubs in the next section of property? Another scenario would be edging grass along all the concrete areas. Instead of edging every sidewalk and curb line, every week, you could pick a section of the property and edge that this week, and the other section next week.

My thought behind this is to cut down on the time spent each day and week (not total man hours over the season), at each site, to get the most out of the crew. If it is mapped out, scheduled and timed properly, each section in theory would not out grow the one done before since in reality they are all being done at the same time interval from each other. Of course the first service, for the first section would most likely need to be done earlier than 'really' needed, in order for other sections to not overgrow.

This could be a common practice for many on larger sites, I've never done it this way, but it is just something I've been thinking about. Of course it also depends on the expectation of the client and what they are paying for. But these are not places with flawless landscapes like Disney World or something. Not dumps either, but just average large scale HOAs, many of which are not even irrigated.

Last edited by merrimacmill; 01-10-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We mow and edge the entire sites weekly. Pruning depends on the type of shrub and the size of the property. If the property is small we prune everything in one day, or break it up into two or thirds or quarters. All depends on the size of the site and the amount of shrubs. Their are a lot of variables.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 View Post
We mow and edge the entire sites weekly. Pruning depends on the type of shrub and the size of the property. If the property is small we prune everything in one day, or break it up into two or thirds or quarters. All depends on the size of the site and the amount of shrubs. Their are a lot of variables.
Posted via Mobile Device
We do this as well at several semi-large subdivisions. But I have been asking the same question? Is there a better way? More efficient?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankies L&L View Post
We do this as well at several semi-large subdivisions. But I have been asking the same question? Is there a better way? More efficient?
Anyone can knock out any size hedge trimming job in a day if they go out and buy enough hedge trimmers, enough trailers to haul all the debris, buy enough trucks to tow all those trailers.

I do not see a problem with breaking the job down into manageable size sections.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the sectional approach works except on the largest of accounts because it takes too much time from what I hope is an already full mowing schedule. if the crew has an extra day built in for weather that day can be used to separate out the largest accounts to mow and to perform a full pruning. if all else fails there is the pruning crew option which can work very well if you have the equipment for it and the work to sustain it
Old 01-25-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Some companies here have separate crews for pruning/trimming. It just boils down to how much work you have and how big the properties are.
Posted via Mobile Device