Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
I feel sorry for the company that only has one trailer.
Bingo. Ive got an 18' enclosed, 16' open, 18' dump trailer, 25' deckover gooseneck. All of them have their own purpose.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like open trailers. I think they are the most productive since the equipment is already outside. Just grab the gas, trimmer or blower off the rack...no walking inside a trailer then back out. We mow 4 days per week, and leave the mowers on the trailer for 3 nights in between. They go in the garage the other 4 nights. And they go inside if it rains. The handhelds go inside every night. Open trailers are cheaper to buy, simple to maintain. I can dump materials on them, I can load pallets of stuff, or large b&b shrubs and trees on them with a forklift at the supplier. One of mine was even used as a parade float once.

Security is the biggest negative. Having those trimmers and blowers on display for thieves is not good.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

I like the Pro look of an enclosed with good signage. But I do a lot of Spring cleanups in between my mowing jobs. I have 2-5 yds of mulch on my open trailers for several months while the cleanuips are getting done. Obviously, with an enclosed, you can't have bulk mulch dumped on the trailer. How do you do cleanups ? Deliveries ?

Paying to have mulch delivered has four huge disadvantages.
1) Too little ? Too much ? PITA ! I use only what is needed, always have enough.
2) Dirty street that needs to be cleaned up after the cleanup.
3) Delivery costs.
4) Too many scheduling demands - gotta be at a specific job at a specific time because the mulch is coming, regardless of any complications that arise along the way
Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Rain will hurt your mowers or machines especially after it just ran or is running. $10000 sounds like alot for an enclosed trailer. Bought my last one for $4500 double axle with tax and pickup. Cargomate. I'm 6'5" and I have to barely bend over when I walk into it and can stand inside without bending over. Probably have another half a foot clearance inside. I live in Chicago and it would make no sense for me to drive around broadcasting to all the shmucks. If we are all in the backyard doing a job I don't have to worry about some idiot running away with something. Lost a one yr old redmax 7100 blower last yr because we left it in the bed of the truck and we were all in the backyard for only 2 min. He gone! Gas it up? Take out the mower from the trailer and gas up the mower. It's sooo difficult Also, enclosed trailers are like driving advertisment mobiles. If you do it right. I see alot more dumpy open trailers and some nice open ones. The guys that live in the sticks can get away with open dirty(laugh its a Joke) trailers.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

2 to 5 yds of mulch can fit in the bed of your truck if you have a f350 dump. No problem. Where do your machines go for the cleanup? Open trailers have it's purpose. No doubt.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 20' enclosed a 18' open and a 12' open. I use the enclosed in the summer. The open in the spring and fall and also in the winter to haul mowers with blowers around. I myself would never want an open to mow with all day everyday. It keeps the seat cooler, less problems with hand helds, a place to take a leak and hide when a rain or hail storm pops up. Happens every year. No one used to use enclosed trailers around me. Since I've had mine in 07 I see more and more. But it a preference really. Just like trucks and mower brands.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd love to have an enclosed trailer, even for 2-3 days a week during mowing season and then for fall cleanups. Put everything in the trailer and not have to worry about it until the end of the season. Our equipment would still be loaded and unloaded to dump/refuel but that will happen no matter what trailer they are on.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have both types of trailers , in my opinion if you were only going to have one trailer you have to go with a open trailer , you need this for mulch , brush , landscaping stuff , but for just mowing I love my enclosed trailer , the combi attachments do not get wet and rust up , chainsaws stuff like that , and you just put all your stuff in there and its like a mobile office , vs. the open trailer we spent so much time loading , unloading stuff and never fails we would get somewhere and need something we forgot like a trash can etc , a well organized enclosed trailer will save you a ton of time and make your life alot easier and equipment will last longer. refueling is the biggest down side to the enclosed trailer , How do you guys that have enclosed trailers do your refueling? I have 8 5 gal can and go weekly to refill in truck and top off mowers every evening , but this sucks when you are tired and all the help has bolted.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNTON SERVICES LLC View Post
I have both types of trailers , in my opinion if you were only going to have one trailer you have to go with a open trailer , you need this for mulch , brush , landscaping stuff , but for just mowing I love my enclosed trailer , the combi attachments do not get wet and rust up , chainsaws stuff like that , and you just put all your stuff in there and its like a mobile office , vs. the open trailer we spent so much time loading , unloading stuff and never fails we would get somewhere and need something we forgot like a trash can etc , a well organized enclosed trailer will save you a ton of time and make your life alot easier and equipment will last longer. refueling is the biggest down side to the enclosed trailer , How do you guys that have enclosed trailers do your refueling? I have 8 5 gal can and go weekly to refill in truck and top off mowers every evening , but this sucks when you are tired and all the help has bolted.
You could always have a dump or a dump insert if you have a regular pick up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had enclosed for a year. PITA. Back to open now