Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

He's not my buddy JR. Never met the guy. But I did read what he had to say before telling him how to do his job !

He doesn't use a truck for mulch, so he can't "back it up to the beds".

He doesn't use a dump or dump trailer either.

And he wrote that he has enclosed, and open trailers. Before someone told him that his problem was that he only has one kind of trailer.

I'm sure there are lots of guys near you that have great success doing spring cleanups and mowing with landscape trailers. The guy with the broken axle was the one you saw. The rest of us are flyin' around so fast you can't see us !

So you guys in Maine back up on the customers lawn ? And then shovel off a dump ?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Feenan View Post
He's not my buddy JR. Never met the guy. But I did read what he had to say before telling him how to do his job !

He doesn't use a truck for mulch, so he can't "back it up to the beds".

He doesn't use a dump or dump trailer either.

And he wrote that he has enclosed, and open trailers. Before someone told him that his problem was that he only has one kind of trailer.

I'm sure there are lots of guys near you that have great success doing spring cleanups and mowing with landscape trailers. The guy with the broken axle was the one you saw. The rest of us are flyin' around so fast you can't see us !

So you guys in Maine back up on the customers lawn ? And then shovel off a dump ?
I never told him it was a problem to only have one type of trailer. Most of our mulch is on commercial properties and is usually close to the parking lot. For areas away from the parking lot we either use our MTL or wheel it from the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Feenan View Post

I have a friend that uses a Masons dump. He dumps it on the street because he can. He thinks this is somehow speeding him up. Then he shovels it off the street the same way that we do off of our open trailers. But, if we have extra, we don't use it. if he has extra, he either donates it to the homeowner, or shovels it back on his dump. Then he cleans the street.Why ? We are long gone by then, and he paid a heck of a lot more in gas to drive his dump around all day, plus insurance, maintenance, etc.
This was the "buddy" I was referring to
Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well I feel kinda bad for all the guys with them big bad trucks and multiple trailer set ups as they must have to work awful hard or drive their crew like slave masters just to cover that kind of overhead, so if you worry about my one trailer I'll have to think about this while I fatten up my belly, makes me feel kinda bad just sitting around thinking about the guys who are having to work this winter.

Last edited by herler; 01-15-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
So if I am reading this correctly, you're trying to use the same trailer that you use for your daily mowing route for when you do landscaping projects as well? I think that's part of the problem. Maybe you're not doing enough landscaping to justify it, I don't know. But most companies would have two different trailers. One for the daily mowing operations and another for landscaping jobs.

We have it set up so that all of our maintenance accounts have enclosed trailers that just contain their mowers, trimmers, blowers, etc. and our landscape construction crews have big dual-axle trailers that are used for that kind of work. So if we need something to haul a Bobcat or something heavy, we use that trailer.

I guess if you're trying to do it all with one trailer, than yah - open trailers is the way to go. But if you can, it's better to have separate trailers for separate jobs/crews. IMO, enclosed trailers are best for maintenance and open dual-axle trailers are best for construction crews.
No this is how I do it we have a a couple open trailers for the landscaping and a enclosed trailer for my mowing stuff . pritty much the same way you mentioned it. It would be nice though to be able to do the landscaping all on the same setup.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

to clarify if i use the tractor we take 2 trucks and trailers the one the tractor comes off is the one all the edgings and debree go on and once we unload the mulch the tractor gets hauled away on the trailer that had the mulch on it , we only do this on big jobs , other times we just use a trailer and wheelborrow and pull one set up. didn't mean to confuse any one. Oh the tractor is more like a large lawn mower its not very big just has a front end loader on it so you can drive it in the grass without damage. Thanks for the feedback from you guys apreciate all your opinions.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's funny how people can debate on such opinionated subjects. It's like saying blondes are better than brunettes. Or one beer is better than the other. Same with a lot of stuff. What works best for one doesn't work for the next. Each has its pros and cons. Just have to figure out what weighs out best for each individual.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I'm confused what we're even debating at this point. I've listed my opinions on trailers and that's all I really chimed in to do. So at this point I'm checking out of this crazy thread.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNTON SERVICES LLC View Post
to clarify if i use the tractor we take 2 trucks and trailers the one the tractor comes off is the one all the edgings and debree go on and once we unload the mulch the tractor gets hauled away on the trailer that had the mulch on it , we only do this on big jobs , other times we just use a trailer and wheelborrow and pull one set up. didn't mean to confuse any one. Oh the tractor is more like a large lawn mower its not very big just has a front end loader on it so you can drive it in the grass without damage. Thanks for the feedback from you guys apreciate all your opinions.
That makes sense. I did misinterpret some of your post, so I asked the question about how you used the tractor and someone else got snippy for no reason. I didn't mean to offend anyone, just asking questions