Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-15-2012, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Member

ZTR vs. Walk Behind(w/ velke)

I've been in business 12 years and have always used ZTR's for all of my properties. I have about 8 of them. I use 36" walk behinds in fenced-in yards. Just curious if anyone has preferences...and I'm not talking about just comfort level. Please tell me your input or experiences on the following variables;
1. Fuel Consumption
2. Lawn Rut Marks
3. Electrical/ Safety Sensor/ Battery issues
4. Fatigue
5. Cost

I'm thinking of going to Walk behind mowers to save money and headaches for my mid-sized 4 crew company.
Thanks
Old 12-15-2012, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

First of all i own 1 ZTR 1 Stand on 1 hydro walk and 1 belt drive walk. The ztr will burn more fuel in the same running time frame just by being a higher rated horse power. But the other angle would be getting jobs done quicker so the engine is running for less time. I would say its very close to being a wash. The ztr will rut more and scuff the turf more on turns. Batteries will last a few years and are nice for cold days on starting hydro units. Fatigue is way more on the total body for the walk behind. The up front cost is more on the ztr, but will be recovered from increased productivity and higher resell value. My personal recommendation is to try out a stand on unit its the best of both worlds. The stand can put up productivity numbers that a ztr can while being a more compact package.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I too am kinda looking at this. I'm spending about $20 per month on fuel for each customer. That includes all fuel, mowers, trimmers and truck. I'd really, really like to get that down to about 1/2 of that. When I started it was about 1/3 of that. My problem is that I can't stand for more than about 10 minutes at a time due to some hip problems.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a Ferris 36 walk behind, if I was smarter I would have gotten the dual control, about $1000 more, BUT then I could have easily put a velke or sulke or what ever you want to call that thing that you can flip down and stand on.
I say this because I am going to be 66 this year and the walking helps to keep my waist down and the pressure off my back from bouncing around on a sit down. It also weights several hundred pounds less and therefore, is not so prone to rutting.
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 12-17-2012, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

1. ztr will use more fuel but it's faster so fuel usage will be close to the same either way you go.

2. either one will rut and neither will if you drive it right.

3. will be about the same

4. walk behind/velkie will cause more fatigue. standing or walking all day versus sitting on a ztr and standing and walking while trimming and blowing giving a balance to your workday.

5. ztr costs more
Old 12-17-2012, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph02813 View Post
I use a Ferris 36 walk behind, if I was smarter I would have gotten the dual control, about $1000 more, BUT then I could have easily put a velke or sulke or what ever you want to call that thing that you can flip down and stand on.
You didn't get the optional brakes?

Old 01-13-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are doing small properties a WB can be more efficient as in lower fuel and overall exspense all the way around but on larger properties my 72 inch super is just plain $ for $ stomp a WB bad. The fuel cost is alot lower because it is so much faster. A high speed 72 in my opinion is the best money making mower I have ever owned by far for everyday cutting medium to big areas.

Where I am a WB is a superior cut, my personnal opinion on ZTR's is they screw the properties up.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Read the end of proturfs picture thread. He has some good info on this and has a similiar size business I believe.