Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Hope I didn't screw up...............

Bought a Bad Boy Lighting 6000 with a Kaw 26hp. liquid cooled motor today. Mower brand new show room quality with 0 hrs.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You did fine liquid cool lasts for ever
Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Hasn't the lightning been discontinued for a couple years? hopefully you got a good % off for buying a 2010-11 model
Old 02-19-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesimoes2 View Post
You did fine liquid cool lasts for ever
But what about the rest of the mower?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did it come with a spoiler and chrome rims?

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

No spoiler or rims
Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker2930 View Post
Bought a Bad Boy Lighting 6000 with a Kaw 26hp. liquid cooled motor today. Mower brand new show room quality with 0 hrs.
I haven't posted much of anything about my BB in quite a long time so maybe this will be tolerated by the "BB naysayers" !!!

These mowers are built as solid as they come, especially when you get into the commercial grade BB's (like the Lightning, Outlaw, or AOS). And when you factor in the cost, to me at least, it's a "no brainer".

I think you'll love the mower. I have the identical mower, and have only had a couple of very minor issues in over 200 hrs. Actually only one issue had to do with BB, the other had to do with Kawi.

Here's something else I like about BB. There is a difference in the way engine issues are handled if you own a BB. On some other mowers, if the issue is dealing with the engine, you have to deal with the engine manufacturer, not the manufacturer of the mower.

BB is setup to take care of any issue you may have with the mower, whether it's a BB issue or an engine issue....no having to deal with (in this case) Kawi. BB took care of both of my two minor problems....and did it with smiles on their faces!

I'll also mention that my mower came with the optional manual foot deck lift. That is a very convenient option that I use very frequently. If yours doesn't have that, I'd recommend seriously considering it...I wouldn't be without it. Great for hopping over obstacles without changing the deck height.

As for the couple of problems I mentioned:
One of the issues was the fact that the carbs were set extremely lean from the factory, causing the engine to "lean out" and die when engaging deck, (sometimes even at WOT), or when dropping from WOT to idle (deck disengaged). Although this was Kawi's problem, BB took care of it...no problem.

NOTE: I still apply a little "choke" when engaging the deck for a smoother engagement.

Another issue was the drive pulley on the engine was too high in relationship to the deck, so if you cut as low as 1 inch, the belt would be thrown when the deck was engaged and the "lean out" occurred (causing a jolt on the misaligned pulleys). In a lot of cases this is a moot point because the operators never cut that low, so there would be no alignment problem. But, BB sent a kit that corrected that (although it's still slightly misaligned when cutting as low as I do). I haven't slung a belt since the kit was installed. (3 yrs) Also, as with any mower, check the bolts on the deck wheels etc...I had one that was loose.

As for the ride....let the tire pressure down to about 7-8 psi on all 4 corners and you'll have a ride that most wouldn't believe....nice and "spongy"! Between the low tire pressure and the rubber grommet shock absorbers, you can actually get the ride so soft that if you stop fast, you'll cut a little slight semicircle in the grass (when the front of the deck dips). I keep mine that way and just stop a little slower (my old back appreciates this)! You get used to doing that and it becomes automatic.

You may already know this but in case you don't, the "mower world" is just like the "car world", there are people that get fighting mad if you say something bad about their brand of mower, or, say too much about your mower being to your liking. This I understand.

What I don't understand is, oddly enough, some of the people that are the most critical (and vocal) of other's mowers, seem to be the most defensive if something negative is said about their brand of mower! Yes I do understand that....it's called "human nature"! Also, be prepared for people who have absolutely no experience with BB at all to bad mouth them. That happens a lot for some reason.

Keep us updated, good or bad! But, I hope your experience is as good as mine has been so far! Also, feel free to PM me if you have questions that you think I may can help you with.
Stan

PS. To the other LS members: I'll keep my BB enthusiasm to myself for a while now.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Stan for the good info. I will keep posted good or bad.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker2930 View Post
Thanks Stan for the good info. I will keep posted good or bad.
Good deal, and by the way, congratulations!

I also forgot to mention the fact that the Michigan seat also contributes to the soft ride along with the rubber shock absorbers and low tire pressure. I'll look forward to hearing from you.
Stan

Last edited by StanWilhite; 02-20-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd definitely like to see more BB's out there and i'd like to get some demo time on their armortek deck. Having said that, there have been some threads on here that have been deleted and i didn't appreciate that nor did i appreciate some of the run around BB gave the customer.

They are a relatively young company and there will be some growing pains of course so we will see how they complete. I wish there were more dealers out there too, post a review and let us know what you think. I would only consider the outlaw but to each his own.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution