Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For my situation with bigger lawns where I can wind my Dixie up, the loss of ground speed would offset the fuel savings. It would take me much longer, especially on a lawn that I have to double cut, at a maximum of 6.75 MPH vs. my Dixie's 15 MPH. So not only would it take me at least twice as long, but I'd probably end up burning more fuel because the mower is running twice as long.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

So why not the Vantage Standers instead of the Tracers?

Been thinking about one is why I ask.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
A solid 2 wheel sulky is probably better on the body than sitting all day. Rider mowers even sitting or driving all day is hell on the lower spine (discs).
Get yourself a Ferris and problem solved.

Great thread btw

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think making workers use a walk behind is grounds to quit a job... Its not like he is making them walk. What did guys do years ago when there was no riders?
Old 01-13-2013, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0 TURF View Post
You could use that debate for many instances in the working world. There is almost always an "easier" way to do something.

-Why did you make employees rake loam by hand when you could have use a power rake?
-Why did they have to move wheelbarrows with stone when they could've used a skid steer, who is going to pay for their back issues they might have over time?
-Why did they use a leaf rake when you could've used blowers...who's going to pay for their shoulder surgery they might need?
-Why did you use blowers when you could have used leaf rakes...who is going to pay for their hearing loss from a blower in their ear all day that might happen over the years?
-Why did you make make your office staff use a keyboard instead of speech recognition software, who's going to pay for the treatments for the carpal tunnel syndrome that they might get over the years?

It is the territory that goes along with the job, I'm sure we could come up with examples for any industry. We value our employees greatly, there is no doubt about that. No one is forcing them to work for our company, or in the green industry. It is a choice they have made as employees & we have made as employers. We are not going to run different machines because after many years of operating one of our mowers there is a chance an employee will have bad knees.

What would be worse on the knees/legs/body over the years...operating a walk-behind with a velke or without a velke?
You won't find a Physician who'll claim walking is bad for the body,you might be a little stiff and sore in the morning though but that could also indicate your out of shape.
It would be difficult for me to add up all those miles I've accumulated over the past 10 or plus years walking behind a WB and I'm still going strong,no joint ailments or arthritis nor any surgeries on the scheduling books but has someone mentioned,good topic though.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

scissors!!! its all about the pussification of america plain and simple!!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

greyst1 i agree 100% with you ferris is over 1hr away from me and exmark less than 10mins away but im rural...
Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer walkbehinds. One of my reasons is I could not use a zero turn on most of my properties. I have a few slopes that a zero would fail just on the approach. If I have a employee that says they reuse to run a walkbehind because of the abuse, trimmer and edger time it is for him. Then again, I am somewhat consolidating this year and going solo most of time.
I have found the maint. is easier on walkbehinds as well.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0 TURF View Post
How many horses we talking to efficiently run 2 blades per spindle?

2 standard blades? Mulching blades?

biggest engine eXmark offers on whatever mower...I usually pop the engine and put on a bigger one.

2 standard mulch blades or 2x low lift...less drag.

No Bagging.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure pro-turf has it figgured out with what he feels is best for his customers yards and his buisiness model. Walk- behinds do a better job I feel and he knows it. Im sure he treats his guys good, just look at his website hes got. Zero turns aren't for everyone either. He's just stating his pro's and cons.