Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Buried with work

Seems like the phone rings atleast 3 times a day for quotes on spring cleanups... but not lawn contracts. I have been getting a ton of one time job requests like this and yet find myself unable to snag the weekly lawn mowing clients. For the solution to this i make sure that i take care of my clients whom i do full service for and then book in one-timers where opens are availible. I charge higher prices for these one-timers and make decent cash off of it but in the end my question to you guys is this. Is it worth the intense labor to cram in these one-timers? Or would you rather have the time to put into other forms of running your business or take a little bit of leisure time? I work for the state at night with a full time job, 2nd year in business and this is the first year i really hit the advertising hard so i am getting a ton of calls for free quotes. I am unsure if the juice is worth the squeeze with a hundred + hour work week or if i should be continuing to find full service only contracts. What do you guys think?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you can do the one-time work, I wouldnt turn it down. Not everybody wants full time mowing. They will come along

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

These one time jobs can often times lead to being full service accounts. Many of these people are. Just looking to get their lawn cleaned up for the year, then they can take care of it for the rest of the time. But when they have a friend who says that they are looking for someone to mow their lawn weekly, they will be able to refer you. No matter what the job, it is all about getting your name out there and the exposure of your business. I'm not saying you have to take each and every job that comes your way, as once you get so busy you can only handle so much work and it is then nice to pick and choose your jobs based on expected profit, location, type of property and condition of property.

Like I said, these one time jobs can help you gain full service accounts down the road and give great exposure for your business.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-17-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

100 hour work week? Holy cow. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Stop and smell a rose or two is my advice.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-17-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hope for your sake that 100+ hours per week is an exaggeration. I'm putting in somewhere between 60 to 65 hours per week, and quite frankly, it's rough. Do what ya gotta do to keep a roof over your head though.

In regards to the one-time services, I try to minimize the number of those best as possible, and work towards filling the schedule with recurring lawn accounts. I understand completely though that it's not that easy in the early years of business. Building a steady route takes time. My advice would be this: Set an approximate amount of hours you'd like to do lawns each week, and keep that at maximum capacity with whatever jobs you're willing to accept. As recurring lawn accounts come, put those in place of the time you'd be spending on the one-timers, and eventually, the recurring accounts will crowd out the one-timers. It's all about reaching that level of stability. Just my $0.02
Old 04-17-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
Seems like the phone rings atleast 3 times a day for quotes on spring cleanups... but not lawn contracts. I have been getting a ton of one time job requests like this and yet find myself unable to snag the weekly lawn mowing clients. For the solution to this i make sure that i take care of my clients whom i do full service for and then book in one-timers where opens are availible. I charge higher prices for these one-timers and make decent cash off of it but in the end my question to you guys is this. Is it worth the intense labor to cram in these one-timers? Or would you rather have the time to put into other forms of running your business or take a little bit of leisure time? I work for the state at night with a full time job, 2nd year in business and this is the first year i really hit the advertising hard so i am getting a ton of calls for free quotes. I am unsure if the juice is worth the squeeze with a hundred + hour work week or if i should be continuing to find full service only contracts. What do you guys think?
Our situation is very similar to yours except we are getting the clean ups, leaf removal, mulch requests, and the regular mowing accounts. It is starting to get overwhelming very fast. I hope somebody with similar experience can chime in and offer some advice. We picked up 7 accounts in one day while running our route last weekend.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 04-17-2013, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think i know which way you want to go because you mentioned leisure time. I don't get excited about those cleanups anymore. The people who want me to do it act excited, but i know they'll kick me to the curb and let the edging go until next year. I keep a mental note of yards in the area, and it seems like some people never get it together, and they're constantly scrambling. I'm moving towards taking good care of my regulars and taking my time. If i have a free saturday or sunday, and it's something that i can knock out for a good price, i may consider it, but those instances are becoming rare with me. I just don't want to strain my equipment or hit something i wasn't unaware of and do damage to my mower. Yesterday i did a cleanup, and this side yard was extra soft and a tree was cut down there. Everywhere the logs fell were big holes i didn't see, and one huge broken off limb just high enough to catch my blades. I was bouncing all over the place. I walked it, and picked up some stuff, but didn't see everything apparently. That job really swayed me to stay away from that stuff. I'll live.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
I don't get excited about those cleanups anymore.............. I'm moving towards taking good care of my regulars and taking my time.
That's my focus this year. Last year I scrambled to get everything I could. This year I'm focusing on reg clients and the occasional one time if it's a referral from a current client, that's it.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
100 hour work week? Holy cow. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Stop and smell a rose or two is my advice.
14 hr days arnt that bad. My one offs normally turn into season customer, you just have to be a persuasive salesman.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've had several one timers turn into great customers. I always charge one timers more and fit them in when I can. One season I has one dethatch for a regular customer. Before the day was over I had 10 on the same block for 25% more and didn't have to drive all over heck either.
Posted via Mobile Device