Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Do I need this much mower?

I'm planning to start my lawn care business this spring and had pretty much made up mind to get the Gravely ZT HD 48. I don't know what the difference is between it and the pro turn or the XL. My plan is 10-15 yards per month because I do have a full time job. So, I'm wandering if the HD model is too much mower for my needs and would like some suggestions of other mowers because I'm not sure about the quality of the ZT mowers at Lowes or Home Depot. I know for a fact Troy Bilt is off the list!

Oh! One other thing. Does anyone know what a bagger system costs for a Gravely HD 48?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think it's too much mower...probably the least you'd want to have. There are a few guys on here running them. The only thing I don't like about them is the 1/2 inch deck height increments instead of 1/4 inch and no heavy duty air filtration system. They do a nice job of falling between a residential and full commercial mower in my opinion. Mind you that's just from looking at the specs and what others here have to say about them. I have no direct knowledge of them.

You might want to check out these threads here.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ght=gravely+hd

Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Darry G!

Now I've gotta look harder. I don't like the complaints about the uncomfortable seat/ride and would prefer 1/4 increments deck settings. My search continues and I better come up with something quick! 😉
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here....check out this thread. It's in the homeowner section but lots of good info in it and a lot of the people there are actually pretty knowledgeable about the high end residential/low end commercial mowers.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=346396
Old 01-15-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A ztr from lowes or homedepot is absoutally out of the question..

IMHO a 48" ZTR is really a speciality machine.. meaning if you really need a 48 and you really need a ztr its for you. If not, there pointless

Anything else, 48 and smaller get a walkbehind or stander
52" and bigger get a stander or ztr..

you cant be cutting anything big if your looking at a 48.. Stick with a walkbehind and save as much as you can..when the time comes for a ztr youll know it..Im not calling you out but everybody thinks they need a zeroturn and its somply not the case most of the time

If you have your heart set on a z get at least a 52
Old 01-15-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I tend to agree, but some people even prefer a 60 inch walk behind over a ZTR. I have a 48 inch walk behind and a 52 inch ZTR and the walk behind gets much more use. I run it with a sulky and can zip around pretty fast without doing turf damage. I reserve the ZTR for the big open lawns and when I need to bag...hate bagging with a catcher.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

O most deffintally, 2 years ago I bought an old 62" toro t-bar floating deck w/b for 600 bucks and it gets used 90% of the day all day everyday
Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a Gravely Pro turn 100 series. Its a 52in deck with the 23hp Kohler EFI. The day I got it I zipped around on it for a few minutes but didn't really get to try it out but already I'm in love with riding and the speed I can cut at is amazing compared to my hydro walk behind. I have a Gravely 36in hydro walk behind and I can't even keep up running full speed behind it. A sulky would be beneficial for small lawns that are gated but not for the bigger lawns or ones that are more open.

As far as the quality of the Gravely zero turn. Its built tougher than the lower end series. The deck has the 1/4 adjustments and is just an overall more commercial duty machine. They sell it in 48in but the way I look at it is if I can't use a 52in or it won't fit through the gate then I probably shouldn't have a zero turn on the lawn anyways.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys. Now I think I'm more undecided than I was before. Gotta keep looking and researching.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
A ztr from lowes or homedepot is absoutally out of the question..

IMHO a 48" ZTR is really a speciality machine.. meaning if you really need a 48 and you really need a ztr its for you. If not, there pointless

Anything else, 48 and smaller get a walkbehind or stander
52" and bigger get a stander or ztr..

you cant be cutting anything big if your looking at a 48.. Stick with a walkbehind and save as much as you can..when the time comes for a ztr youll know it..Im not calling you out but everybody thinks they need a zeroturn and its somply not the case most of the time

If you have your heart set on a z get at least a 52
Disagree to some extent I run a 48" Z (because I stole it price wise) and cut right along and have no complaints cutting 1-2 ac lawns. I would agree that wide open multi acre lots would call for 60" Z or bigger.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13