Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Treating for grubs

I have a couple lawns we just picked up that have grub damage and moles are starting to come in. Would it be worth it to put out an application of say Dylox now or should I wait until summer for the normal treatment for grubs? Thanks in advance fellas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Grubs are very mature now and control will be difficult due to grub size.

Keep in mind moles main food source is earth worms.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post

Didn't know that. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wilson is right. Moles are not a reliable indicator of a grub infestation.
However...your customer will probably want a treatment--dylox is the choice.
Dupont Acelepryn is a possiblity, but it lists April through September as proper dates. Remember you will have to convince the customer to get two grub treatments--now and again as a preventative during the summer. Cost will be an issue.
http://www2.dupont.com/Professional_...dfs/H65679.pdf

You might consider mole control, if that is the real issue. A bait like Talpirid is a good choice. However you may need a vertebrate and nuisance animal control license. And somewhere in your area there is a restriction because of a rare moles species--its protected by law. Wait this is only in NC.
http://carteret.ces.ncsu.edu/files/l...%20Rabbits.pdf

Last edited by RigglePLC; 01-12-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added
Old 01-12-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

This is all true and I tell more people about earthworms and moles than I can shake a stick at ...But.

Depending on the timing , soil type, the kind of winter someone has and grub pressure dictates a spring application or not.

Like last spring. I did more spring grub apps than I ever have simply because the worms never went deep, started feeding early (or never stopped) and pressure was high.

i know they are questionable. I know what I am doing. I know I know I know.

But without being careless or reckless with control products and keeping IPM protocols in mind I'd rather apply than not apply in certain situations.

And I hate applying dylox especially so I'm not out there "selling" it by any means.

I may look into this acelpryn this year as well since it's labeled for pre and post emerge and it's liquid, no?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not sure how moles and grubs become so closely associated with each other. However if I get a call for moles that usually means an easy sale for grub control. Around here grub control is hard to sell because people can't see the results.

So when I speak with a customer I tell them we can't put out a poison because some moles are endangered here. There isn't a pesticide for worms and you don't want to kill them. So I say the next route is grub control.....it isn't a cure all but will help decrease the food availability to some extent.

Moles are worse this year than ever and even now in January. So we are screwed to some point since there is nothing we can really do. We can get a free permit to trap them but I'm it familiar with how or have the equipment to do so.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I'm not sure how moles and grubs become so closely associated with each other. However if I get a call for moles that usually means an easy sale for grub control. Around here grub control is hard to sell because people can't see the results.

So when I speak with a customer I tell them we can't put out a poison because some moles are endangered here. There isn't a pesticide for worms and you don't want to kill them. So I say the next route is grub control.....it isn't a cure all but will help decrease the food availability to some extent.

Moles are worse this year than ever and even now in January. So we are screwed to some point since there is nothing we can really do. We can get a free permit to trap them but I'm it familiar with how or have the equipment to do so.
And whom will nail you on mole control??? So you will over control via chemicals to control something that is not needed? Use Talpirid and be done.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx24 View Post
And whom will nail you on mole control??? So you will over control via chemicals to control something that is not needed? Use Talpirid and be done.
Talpirid cannot be shipped to North Carolina. The eastern mole is on the endangered list here

So not willing to take the chance of doing an illegal service.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The mole and grub association derived from the guy who tells the story of having to wait 2 weeks to resod after spraying RoundUp so you don't kill the new turf.

Got to love those commercial mowers with their "turf saver" tires tearing through all the mole active areas week to week just grinding and Z turning that turf to mush without notice. Now that's mole damage. Drive those tunnels right. Moles don't want to be where its a hassle. What does? Hassle them enough...

Its also not "professionally responsible " to talk about the importance of a rich soil profile when discussed...then to discuss things that could damage a very important organism designed for soil enrichment in another discussion.

Not trying to disrespect anyone. Just watch any jive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer the biological control. My Cat! No moles in my yard.