Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-17-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Various CMS

So in following the various threads.

There are good and bad templates.

There are several Content Management Systems out there.

Joomla, Drupal and Word Press to name 3. These are so called free and open source programs that can be used and or modified for free. They are what is often called Extensible.

Meaning there is a core program and then individuals or groups of individuals will create features that "hook" in to the core. There can be thousands of these and often several that do similar things because they are individual projects. It gets very confusing for the novice and to make matters worse each extension may not play well with others. Code breaks and it can be hard to find out what did it.

I can see that Word Press has a lot of users and many supported extensions.
Many people swear by Joomla too and I tried it.
Lastly, I tried Drupal and started in D6 and almost gave up but D7 came out and the UI was much better.

I can not help anyone with any other CMS like word press or Joomla. I know it is deemed to be less complicated than the other two mentioned.

The purpose of the thread is to discuss the pro's and con's of these programs so others trying to decide on a route to take.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a relatively current review of the top 3 out there.
It covers as thoroughly as possible in anything less than a CMS for Dummies book

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...9&pageNumber=1
Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Todd, my entire site is built on Wordpress and I love it. I'm pretty careful with what plugins I install so I haven't had any crashes or compatibility issues on my current template. I did have trouble with an older template because I bought one of the cheap templates that every TemplateSquirrel/TemplateWizard/TemplateHooligan/etc site sells for fifty bucks. Because it was low end the developers never did updates so as Wordpress updated my template broke. Lesson learned.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
Todd, my entire site is built on Wordpress and I love it. I'm pretty careful with what plugins I install so I haven't had any crashes or compatibility issues on my current template. I did have trouble with an older template because I bought one of the cheap templates that every TemplateSquirrel/TemplateWizard/TemplateHooligan/etc site sells for fifty bucks. Because it was low end the developers never did updates so as Wordpress updated my template broke. Lesson learned.
Seems like that is all that matters and it seems you have all your micro data set up well too.